Chapter 69: Fragile

The grasp Deidamia had on the village head's shirt almost made it rip as she held him up against a wall

The grasp Deidamia had on the village head's shirt almost made it rip as she held him up against a wall. He struggled against her grip, his legs swinging and kicking yet having no affect on her.

Multiple fellow residents including Aster try their hardest to separate them but Deidamia was just too angry, multiplying her strength.

"Your incompetence truly knows no bounds." Her eyes darkened. "You've truly outdone yourself this time!"

"Dami!" Aster begged with tears in her eyes. She knew that Deidamia was scared for her. That she was scared for every name on that list. But Aster believed from the bottom of her heart that no one could match the fear she felt ever since she heard the news. She wanted to fall to the floor and rip out her hair, scream and break things apart. But she was so unbelievably afraid to even do that.

Townspeople rallied in favor of Deidamia, recognizing the absolute cruelty of sending untrained wives, daughters, sisters, friends, lovers into the deadly unknown caves.

"This is the reason why you could never have been elected as the village head. You can't even control yourself!" He spoke with poison.

In truth, Deidamia had always wanted to take charge in managing her hometown. Helping her fellow residents, solving problems, progressing her home in her own way. Yet that opportunity was snatched away 15 years ago when the village chief was elected instead of her simply because of his connections.

A village head term lasted until the day they die which is why Deidamia gave up the idea and instead focused on managing what she could.

"I believe I'm controlling myself just fine." Deidamia's crooked smile had cracks of sinister intent. "How about you? You couldn't handle the heat of shame that you decided to burn everyone else instead, you're so fragile yet you explode any chance you get!"

"So why don't I just do us all a favor and just get rid of you? We lose nothing with you gone." Her threat wasn't graphic yet it made everyone shake with fear including the village chief.

"You wouldn't dare." He gripped her wrist that held him up.

"The only thing that stopped me from doing it earlier is the person you plan on sending to those wretched caves! You should be kissing the ground she walks on but instead you use her! You ingrate!" Deidamia's yells made Aster's tears fall harder. She hated seeing her so angry. It hurt her that they couldn't still be in each other's arms for the morning, enjoying their life together as they always had.

"Deidamia that's enough!"

"She's too strong!"

"What are we going to do?!"