Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

"Oh...you think...you think Mal might think I wouldn't want her anymore? Because I'd have my hypothetical child?" Persephone asked, the confusion melting away. She knew without a doubt that knowing she'd somehow hurt her child would hurt her. And Eileithyia knew that too. "You know you could have just said that without being all coy with the 'Hades having a child with Maleficent' stuff."

"Mother was walking past the door, you know she enjoys hearing someone trash your husband," Eileithyia shrugged.

Persephone sighed. Of course...mother's been kind enough letting Mal and I stay with her while we spend our six months in Auradon but maybe it would be better if we went to my apartment. Mal doesn't deserve to stay in a place that where my mother makes comments about her father.

"Steph?"

"Hmm?"

Eileithyia shook her head in amusement. "Are you going to take the test?"

"And you can't just tell me why again?"

"You really don't want the cute moment, showing your husband the pregnancy test?" Eileithyia asked, raising an eyebrow. "I thought you would be all about that."

Persephone shook her head but she couldn't deny that her sister had a point. Getting up, she went into the bathroom to take the test.

"Well?" Eileithyia asked as Persephone came back out.

"Doesn't it need time to process?" Persephone asked. "The mortal ones do at the very least."

Eileithyia shook her head. "You don't think I didn't make improvements on the mortal tests? Honestly you'd have thought they'd have come up with better ways than either blood or peeing on a stick."

"...I had to pee on that stick!"

"Yes. Because I'm your sister and messing with you can sometimes be funny," Eileithyia said. "Anyway you're stalling. Results?"

Persephone sighed and looked down at the test. "...What does two lightning bolts mean?"

"It means I was right and Mal's getting a little brother or sister!" Eileithyia said with a grin. "Congrats Steph, don't worry I'll keep mother off your scent until you get back to the Isle."

"Thanks," Persephone said. "But now I should go and tell Mal. I know she's been busy helping Princes Emir and Akiho prepare fo Prince Ben's sixth birthday..."

"Oh yes, what are you going to do for Mal's? It's only a few days before Prince Ben's isn't it?"

"Like you don't already know with your big book of answers?"

"Records, big book of records."

Persephone shook her head. "I was going to take her to a 'paint and play', it's a new place that opened up that allows moms and their kids to paint items and have them for years to come. I had to make a request but they did manage to find a dragon for Mal to paint."

"A...a dragon?"

"She likes dragons," Persephone shrugged. "It's something she and Prince Ben have bonded over, along with Mulan's daughter Lonnie when she comes to visit the palace, so I'm not going to stifle that. Besides, dragons aren't evil."

"...Did you forget who dragons are normally associated with?"

"So? Zeus is associated with swans and yet we don't assume everyone who likes swans is a horrible father," Persephone said. "And now, if you don't mind Eileithyia, I need to talk with my daughter about the fact that there'll be a new member of the family at some point."

"You're not worried about the age difference?" Eileithyia asked.

"There's a six year difference, it's not like we're talking about eons," Persephone chuckled. Oddly enough, now that she knew she was pregnant, the nausea and the lethargic feeling had seemed to go from her body.