Chapter Twenty Nine

Persephone sighed as she tried to hold back a wave of nausea. If she'd been honest, she had been feeling nauseous and lethargic since she left the Isle (actually if she was honest with herself, she had been feeling this way even before she left the Isle) and she'd had enough.

Even if a small part of her was wondering what illness could be so powerful as to impact a Goddess, she just wanted it to be over! If she couldn't be sick and at least cuddle with her husband, then she didn't want to be sick!

Not to mention all this was doing was worrying Mal. Oh sure, she didn't show it but Persephone had noticed Estelle coming into her room to sleep more and more. And usually he was holding a box of tissues or a book that Persephone knew had to come from Prince Ben's personal library.

I wish I knew what was going on, she thought as she held back another wave. I don't want to worry Mal and I know it's only a matter of time before mother's suspicious as well. And that's not a good thing, mother will be like a dog with a bone until I get better and she might even try to keep me in Auradon year round.

"Here."

Persephone blinked to see her sister standing in front of her holding a package of some kind.

"What is this?" Persephone asked as she took it. "It's not Saturnalia you know, Eileithyia."

Eileithyia sighed and shook her head. "I know. And I know you also know that I don't just give you random packages. But unless you want mother coming in here...?"

"I'm guessing you want me to open it?"

"Steph, can we stop beating around the bush? How long have you had morning sickness?"

Persephone paused. "I'm...I'm not...I can't be!"

"You are," Eileithyia said. "But that's all I can say until you open the package in your hand."

Persephone shook her head but opened the mysterious package her sister had given her.

"Eile...this is a pregnancy test."

"Exactly," Eileithyia nodded.

"Why did you give me a pregnancy test?" Persephone asked.

"So you can confirm your pregnancy," Eileithyia told her.

Persephone sighed and resisted the urge to pinch the bridge of her nose. "Why can't you just tell me whether or not I'm pregnant? For Tartarus' sake, you practically confirmed it not five minutes ago."

"Because you're my sister and riling you up is fun," Eileithyia said with a chuckle. "Besides, now you have something to show Hades on the portal. I've no doubt that baby's his anyway."

Persephone gave her sister a look. "Of course the hypothetical baby's his, Eileithyia. I don't cheat on my husband."

"Which clearly he did not reciprocate," Eileithyia said with a small shrug.

Persephone paused and sighed. "Alright, no more beating around the bush. You've got an issue with Hades...or rather mother has another issue with Hades?"

"Look, you know I love my little niece—."

"I'm sensing a 'but' coming."

"But I don't understand how you can be so cool with Hades having a child with a woman who isn't you. And more importantly, a child with Maleficent of all beings. I love you Steph, and you know that, but I don't want you potentially getting hurt when Mal finds out about your pregnancy."

"Why would I be hurt?" Persephone asked, her frustration melting into confusion at her sister's words.

Eileithyia sighed and shook her head. "Who knows what poison Maleficent put into Mal's mind before you were able to claim her, Steph? If Mal hears you're having a baby, a biological baby?"