Twenty Two | Ram - Leela

Comenzar desde el principio

My heart skipped a beat.

Imagine being a mother to a moody teenager. But imagine if Ram knew I was bonding with his Nayan.. he'd be the happiest.

"Take care.", I said with a smile before hanging up.

Aviram :

I slowly sat up on the hospital bed. I noticed Devika's sister and father asleep on the sofa in the cabin. I carefully removed the saline and good off the bed.

It was late at night.
There was no one to keep a watch on me.

I needed so many answers.
I tip toed out of the cabin with my wallet that was on the small table beside the bed.
My whole body hurt but I somehow dragged myself out. A nurse did notice me but I placed my finger on my lips. She took the sign and obeyed by not making a noise.

I walked out, to the main road.

Where should I go?

I gulped nervously standing at the side of the road, looking down. I opened my wallet to find some money.

"Sir, you want to go somewhere?!", I heard an auto driver.
"Yes.. yes. Devi Maa's Temple.", I said. I needed to think, I needed peace and most importantly I needed guidance from my Mother Goddess.

The auto driver thankfully did not recognise me.

He dropped me off.
I still wore the hospital garments, barefoot.

I trudged down to the temple steps.
The temple was never closed, it was the rule. Devi Maa was always awake and available for her devotees.

I had no clear vision of why I was here. But I was here.

I dragged myself to the same place where I had married Devika. I felt a pang of regret. I married her so that she could be the mother of my daughter. But sadly, the daughter was not even mine.

Why am I punished so much, Devi? Why?

But Devi Maa's idol just looked back at me with the same peaceful smile.
Suddenly I felt my head feel heavy. Weakness. Everything had almost blacked out when I heard anklets. I looked down holding my head.

And then I felt hands on my biceps, firm. Holding me.
I gradually looked up.

And I could not look away.

"Ram? You should not be here.. you need rest!", Devika said, looking deeply concerned.
Her eyebrows furrowed in disdain, but her eyes. In similar glow, when I had seen them days ago, they had rebelled. It was fire. But today was different.

There was concern, a certain softness and comfort.
Her hazel brown eyes brimmed with moisture as she looked up at me. The cool breeze in the empty temple blew, making strands of her rather unkempt hair fly back.
If a moment could freeze, I would make it freeze forever.

"Why did you get out of the hospital, Ram?", She asked softly.
"I.. I..", I mumbled, unable to think except look at her beauty. I was almost smitten.
She edged closer, her hands carefully resting on my back. She stood so close to me, I could feel her breath on my chest.
I finally tore my eyes off her and looked down.

"How is Nayan?", I asked finally, "I know you both detest each other.. but.. I think she heard about her parentage and..", I mumbled.

I inhaled her scent deeply.
She seemed to notice that I was drawing solace from her presence and her touch. She carefully edged closer as our bodies touched. And she pulled me into a soft embrace.

I felt drawn into the moment. I raised my hands and wrapped them around her.

I felt her hand softly carass my back.

"Nayan is concerned about you. She wants to ensure your well being. She came here to meet me but she had to leave a while back. I sat here for some peace.", She said, her tone laced with affection.

I drew in a breath of relief.
Tears itched the edges of my eyes.

"She loves you, Ram.", Devika added.
"I thought you were calling me Raja ji.", I said abruptly, realising.

I pulled away from the embrace to look at her. My arms still around her waist, hers still on my back.

"Everyone calls you Raja ji.. Nayan asked me to call you something special.", She said, breaking into a beautiful smile.

"You know Raghuvanshis don't keep any debt.", I said, finally returning her smile.
"Debt?", She asked, perplexed.

I edged closer to her and softly placed my lips to her forehead.
I noticed her shutting her eyes, to cherish it just the way I did.

I pulled away after a moment.
She looked up at me, teary eyed.
"Everything will be alright, Devika-"
"Leela.", She said immediately.

I paused.
"I will call you Ram, and you will call me Leela.", She whispered.
I nodded, almost feeling giddy.
The strange dormant feelings had taken over me. Her touch, her scent, her presence.. everything was perfect.

"Leela.", I whispered, looking into her eyes.
She drew in a deep breath of comfort.

Probably the hour of soulmates hadn't been a myth.

•••

*I can't be the only one feeling butterflies here..*