Chapter 15

In a way, her prep team's silence was scaring Atlas more than the upcoming games. Their usual chatter was silenced and for once, Atlas could hear the sound of the scissors snipping at the end of her freshly bleached and toned hair. They've left her hair straight but cut a wispy fringe that rests above her eyebrows. Atlas thought it was quite impractical but she was scared that her prep team would start sobbing if she told them. They had already let a few tears drip down onto her arm. They went with a soft gold eyeshadow on her eyes and slathered her lips in a gloss that tasted like vanilla, the substance sticking her lips together.

Atlas almost wishes her prep team would say something, anything, to break the silence of the room. The quiet gave way for her thoughts to run wild, visions of flaming birds and bloody swords fill her mind. Atlas knew her district was on edge. Even before she left there was talks of a rebellion but at the time they were just hushed whispers. They had probably progressed into chants at this point.

"All done," Puggy, the girl that had done Atlas' hair says quietly, her eyes stuck on the ground. Atlas glances around and sees the rest of her prep team in a similar state. She just nods at them, a soft smile drifting across her face. They quickly rush out of the room and Atlas thinks she hears one of them release a sob.

After they've gone, Diamond let's herself into the room, closing the door behind her. A bag is laid over her arm and Atlas can only assume her outfit is inside.

"How are you darling," Diamonds soft voice calls out to Atlas. She moves towards the younger girl unzipping the bag as she does.

Atlas almost automatically answers that she's good but she pauses and thinks about it. What did she have to lose with being honest?

"I don't know."

Diamond smiles sadly, looking the girl up and down. She sighs and pulls a white dress out of the bag and Atlas' eyes go wide. The dress is beautiful, made of structured feathers that shimmer blue under the light. The dress ends about a third down her thigh but individual feathers hang down almost fading the dress towards the ground. The top of the dress is made of the same feathers and continues to stick close to her skin but the neckline cuts down just like her parade look. Feathers spread outward around the cut but still remain close to the fabric they are plastered to. Like the feathers of a real bird.

"Wow," Atlas says, her fingers softly running over the hard feathers.

"I know. I designed it with Cinna, District 12's stylist," Diamond says, adoration lacing her voice. She stares at the dress fondly, a small smile breaking onto her usually stoic features, "It's supposed to resemble a mocki- a swan."

Diamond freezes, a panicked look crossing her face. Atlas turns towards her and grabs her hands, bringing them toward her. Diamond looks at the girl with a questioning look and Atlas simply nods, confirming her involvement in the revolution. Atlas knew what this dress represented and while she could say it was a swan and the capitol would believe her, her district knew. Her district knew that white mockingjays were native to their land. Her district knew that this was a symbol, a promise.

Diamond turns to grab the dress and Atlas turns to help her get it on. Once the dress is on, Diamond has her put on a pair of white heels with two wings spreading out around her ankles. Next is a pair of white earrings that resemble the swords the carried in the arena. Atlas pauses. Diamond puts them on for her, a certain knowing look on her face. Finally, Diamond pulls out a small circlet that she places in Atlas' outstretched palms. It seems to be made of white vines that weave together to form the circle. Atlas loves it. Diamond takes it and places it on her head, just above her inconvenient fringe.

"You're ready, lily flower," Diamond says, attempting to be strong. Atlas can hear the shake in her voice but pretends not to notice for the sake of both of them.