Chapter 4: Pulling together

A/N: Thank you guys for following my story. I really appreciate all the support and any suggestions you all have to make my writing better.

Chapter 4: Pulling Together

~Lily's POV~

It was too hot. I knew I was in my bed because I could still smell the faint lingering of my perfume with a mixture of the lavender laundry detergent that my mother specially bought from a lady in town. But I couldn't figure out why it was so hot and it felt like I couldn't breathe. My eyes fluttered open and the first thing I see is my brother curled up next to me with his arm still slung over my shoulder. Adam used to cuddle up with me when I was younger to make me feel better, weather it was because of a bad dream or something that happened at school. I was lucky to have such a wonderful person in my life.

 Not that I deserved him.

 I took a moment to look over his face while he is sleeping next to me. He looks so peaceful, like he didn't have a worry in the world. I missed seeing him like this, when his only concern around me was chasing off a mean boy at school or to make it his mission to annoy me. But now everything is more complicated. He was my guardian, my protector, my lifeline.

I hear a tiny beep come from underneath my pillow that I knew could only be one thing, a text message on my cell phone. Slowly I rolled over trying not to wake my brother up. as I know he has been working a lot trying to get everything sorted financially until he can get on a routine. Sliding my hand underneath my pillow I pull out my cell phone and flip it open revealing the message that was waiting.

Are you awake my Tiger lily? Xxoo Travis

Barely, I just got up. And for the love of all that is holy STOP calling me that!! I smirked and stopped to think and that's the first sign of a smile I have had since the accident. It was gone as quickly as it happened. It is only knowing I'm talking to my best friend, who I have the biggest crush on and laying here feeling safe because my brother sleeping beside me would never knowingly let something happen to me. It's the only time I feel relaxed is around these two.

I felt Adam start to stir beside me and I quickly snapped my phone shut. Slow turning around I could feel Adams muscles in his arm started to tighten and ripple under his shirt. Once I have made it back to face him I raised my eyes only to meet his piercing gaze.

"Hey." He barely spoke above a whisper as he snuggled closer into the blankets.

"Hey," I whispered back "did you have a good nap?"

I hope so, you really need it big bro

"Actually believe it or not it, was the first time in a bit that I woke up feeling refreshed. I hope I didn't squash you or anything."  I see my brother take in a deep breath and close his eyes.