6. Nasty enough?

Be sure you've read last chapter, "5. He took everything"

 He took everything"

February 18, 2017

••••••

Kasim was up early— cooking breakfast and talking on FaceTime with his mother while doing so, "you know I don't ask you for anything really, but I really need a favor of you son,"

"What is it ma?" He asked while flipping the last pancake— so he could get started on the strawberry banana glaze, "you know I got whatever you need."

Layla sighed, "your aunt fell a little behind on bills—"

"She fell behind or she giving that nigga all her money again?" He cut her off with a frown on his face. "Look, you know she's my favorite aunt and has been for a while and although I have more than enough to help her out I can't watch her throw her life away for that no good mothafucka' ma, I caught her up on all her bills so, how is she behind again? She lost custody of the triplets so the money ain't go to them,"

"She's my sister manman," Layla teared up, "it's not easy to leave. She's trying,"

Kasim let out a frustrated sigh, "don't cry, my bad ma forreal. I ain't trynna dog her out or downplay what she's going through, I know it hits different for you." He turned all the burners on low so the food could keep warm. "What she need?"

"I'm not sure, but I told her that you wouldn't put money in her hand again and she'd need to send over her online portals so that way you could do it yourself if you were willing to help her at all—-"

"—- I'm not trying to force you, and I know that you don't have too but, I just know what she's going through and I know in my heart she's trying. I've been through it far worse than her."

Kasim watched her wipe her tears, "I didn't mean to upset you ma— stop crying before you make me cry like a big ass baby on this phone. You know I can't stand that shît,"

Layla chuckled through her tears, "I'm not trying to make you sad, you're not obligated to spend your money on something or someone you don't want too but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I guess I'm so emotional because just a few years ago that was me you know? She don't have the relationship with her kids how I had with you so, she doesn't have anyone to really help her out how you did with me. It just hurts that she didn't learn nothing from my situation,"

Kasim knew Layla's story because she was always honest with her kids when they had questions— especially because they used to get bullied from her being a sex worker. Kids would see her on the corner most nights and tease Kasim about it— most of the highschool boys only knew her because their dads paid for her. As if that was a flex— Kasim always loved his mother though, he'd been in plenty of fight's defending her. At a point Layla was hooked on drugs, one man would leave and the next would come shortly after. Kasim had seen alot, how some men abused her/treated her.