Part 3 : Realisations

Start from the beginning

Aniket heaved a sigh of relief. "Phir se vaisa kuch Bhaiya bardaasht nhi kar paate, Rishi. He's already going through a lot and now—"

Aniket's blinked off his tears.

"Ani," Rishaan squeezed his hands.

Aniket nodded. "Kya batana chahta tha tu?"

Rishaan sighed. Aniket was already upset. He didn't want to add on to his best friend's miseries. The information could wait.

"Kuch nhi. Yahi bol rha tha ki Bhai ko kuch khila de. Shaam se yahi hai."

Aniket nodded.

It was shy of midnight and Ayaansh had still not gained consciousness. Arnav could feel the onset of a headache. He had had a hard time consoling Aryan over the phone call and convincing him to stay back home. The boy was feeling guilty for no apparent reason.

Arnav rubbed off the sleepiness from his eyes and looked through the glass window. The boy had tugged at his heartstrings since the first day. He was so much like his brothers that he couldn't put him at a distance. And the realisation undid Arnav. He couldn't take a step back when his heart had already acknowledged the boy as his brother. Ayaansh was his brother, his family. And Arnav Singhania always stands with his family.

Ayaansh stirred a bit. Arnav noticed that and immediately entered the room.

Ayaansh slowly blinked his eyes and saw Arnav hazily.

Arnav sighed in relief and helped Ayaansh sit up.

"Aap yahan?" Ayaansh frowned. He remembered feeling uneasy and then falling asleep in his room.

"We're at hospital, Ayaansh." Arnav filled a glass of water for him.

Ayaansh's eyes widened. "Hospital? I was sleeping and—"

Ayaansh trailed off as he slowly realised what might have happened.

Arnav brought the glass of water to his lips. Ayaansh dare not look up.

"Have it, Ayaansh." Arnav made him take a few sips before putting the glass down.

Arnav could see how the boy was refusing to make an eye contact. Arnav sighed. He was done holding himself back from his own brother.

Arnav raised his hand to caress his face. "Abhi thik hai, ba—"

Ayaansh flinched back. "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry."

Arnav was taken back to see the fear in his eyes.

"Yeh kya bol rha—"

Ayaansh shut his eyes tight and shook his head vehemently. "I'm sorry. I'll never do it again.
Please—"

Arnav was shocked to the core. The fear on Ayaansh's face was so alive that it scared Arnav.

Ayaansh kept muttering apologies untill he felt himself being pulled in a warm embrace. Arnav held him to his chest. Ayaansh struggled initially but calmed down after some time.

Arnav caressed his head. "Shh, shant ho ja, bacha."

Ayaansh's eyes filled up. He was feeling very agitated.

"I'm sorry, mai—"

"Baad me baat karte hai. Calm down. Phir se tabiyat kharab karni hai?"

Ayaansh shook his head a little. He didn't wanna trouble anyone. What he didn't realise was Arnav had a problem with him troubling himself!

"Abhi so ja. We can go home in the morning."

Arnav made Ayaansh lie down and  went away to inform Aniket. Ayaansh soon drifted off due to the effect of medicines. Arnav was unsettled. He needed to know the reason behind the boy's behaviour. The fear in his eyes had triggered Arnav's worst nightmares. Those innocent eyes did not deserve to hold such fears.