I raise my brows. "Your son plays hockey?" I question. Chloe's husband gives me a firm nod. "Sure does. It's been a while since we've had the chance to come out to a game so we thought might as come surprise him," he says proudly. My eyes widen slightly. "He plays for the Kings, then? Which player?" I ask.

To be honest, I only know Miles and JT so the name they give me will go over my head but the nice thing to do this ask. "Number 21 is ours," Chloe says. Just like I thought, I have no idea who that is. While my plan wasn't to chitchat with the people next to me, I ended up talking more with both Chloe and her husband whose name I learned was Nash.

She was genuinely interested in getting to know me despite the fact that this was the first time I'd ever met the woman. I didn't take it as anything weird since she mentioned her son playing for the Kings. Chloe asked me about what I did and I told her about being a figure skater which she found very interesting. Nash chipped in his thoughts every now and then and by the time the boys came out to practice, I had made myself a new friend.

My whole mood had been flipped by a woman I just met and I wasn't complaining. "Thanks for talking to me. I actually needed it, practice today wasn't the best for me and I was kind of dreading coming here, but I'm glad I did now," I admit. Chloe gives me a sweet smile, one only mothers know how to give. "Sweet girl. Your parents raised a good one, don't stress honey. I always tell my son that the hard times never last long and good times are right behind," she says, her green eyes filled with warmth.

"Thank you," I tell her. Now I'm in a lot better mindset to cheer on-

"Miles! There he is!" Chloe exclaims, pointing a finger toward the ice. "I see him, darling," Nash responds. My cheeks start to burn as I turn my attention to the ice. The first thing that catches me is the back of a jersey. Dempsey, 21. How the hell did I forget Miles is number 21? I've been speaking to his parents this whole time...

Oh, Lord.

This is just my luck. Would it be weird to tell them I'm here to watch their son too? To be fair, I didn't know they were his parents. Why didn't Miles tell me he was getting me seats next to his parents?!? Wait... but Chloe said they were here to surprise him. If Miles knew they were here, then he would've saved two of his seats for them, right? So it's just a total coincidence that he scored me tickets next to his parents?

I shake all these questions out of my brain like cobwebs.
I'm so confused.

"Should we try and get his attention or just wait until after the game?" Chloe asks her husband. "We'll wait," he responds. If Miles tries to find me, he'll see his parents. "I'm gonna go get another drink! Did you guys want anything?" I ask both of them. They both turn down my offer and I quickly find myself out of there. Since I stupidly came during their warm-up, I wait in line for a good while. My phone buzzes in my back pocket.

Miles Dempsey: You here? Didn't get a chance to look.

Nola: here, getting a drink! focus on ur game don't be trying to find me or you'll lose!

That's stupid but if he looks up at the stands, he'll find his parents and I don't want their surprise to get ruined by me.

Miles: I have no idea where you're sitting, Scott. My manager got me your ticket, I just sent it over.

Oh, thank goodness.

Nola: great. i'll see you after? maybe? or not

I add a smiley face emoji to that.

Miles: I've been waiting to talk to you all day, so you'll see me, Scott.

My cheeks flush reading that and I can't stop the smile that appears on my lips. I guess I do have to tell his parents I'm here to cheer on their son. That way it won't be so awkward when we're both headed to the back to see him.