Chapter 22

We've been in the ER for about 3 hours now. We spent an hour and a half in the waiting room, just waiting for a bed. Of course, they wanted to swab us immediately when we finally got in a room, which was not easy to do on a sick, cranky, and sleepy 5 year old. I ended up having to sit in the bed with her in my lap for them to get it done because she would not calm down any other way. Once they finished swabbing the both of us, I finally got her to settle down and nap on my chest. I check my phone as it buzzes with a text from Joe.

From Baby😩❤️

How y'all doing??

Ehh, just got in a room a little over an hour ago. Liyah not with the games tho, she tired and not tryna let these folks do their job AT ALL! Had to jump in the bed with her to get her calmed down.

Lil mama said she already don't feel good and now y'all messing with her sleep too? Oh nahhh🤣🤣

Right she def my niece because neither of us play bout that sleep. But they just swabbed us and once they get results, they'll start assessing and treating her. But at this rate idk when we gone be back home😩

It's gone be alright baby, I can handle everything here. You just make sure she good. You try to get some sleep when you can too. I love y'all both and keep me updated.❤️

Yes sir❤️

I close my phone as I feel myself dozing off as we wait someone to come back into the room with results.

My eyes open as I hear knocks and the door opening, revealing two young black women and a white man. "Hi Ms. Williams, I am Dr. Moore, the pediatric ER physician on call tonight." One of the women introduces herself.

"Nice to meet you, Jazmine Williams."

"So we got your rapid tests back and you both have tested negative. I know you brought her with complaints of asthma, but it's routine now to test everyone that comes in presenting Covid symptoms." She explains.

"Oh, I totally understand."

"This is my nurse, Alexis, and one of our respiratory therapists here, Matt. So, can you tell what exactly is going on?" She asks as she takes the stool as the other two lean against the wall closest to the door.

I fill them in on what's been going on for the past 12 hours as they nod and ask follow-up questions.

"Do you think we can wake her up, so I can do a quick exam?" She asks as she washes her hands before gloving her hands.

"Of course." I respond as I lift Jaliyah from my chest and bounce her gently as she whines from being woken up. "I know boo, I'm sorry. Sit up for me, so the doctor can see what's going." She continues the whine as she rubs her eyes, but sits up slowly.

Dr. Moore starts doing a quick basic exam, checking her ears and throat, and listening to her chest, since her vitals had been taken earlier. "I'm definitely hearing some crackles in her little lungs, which is wheezing."

"Yea, I used my stethoscope at home earlier and heard some wheezing before she went to bed, but I gave her some Zyrtec and Benadryl hoping it would resolve on its own."

"You work in healthcare?" She looks as me surprised.

"Yea, I'm a family medicine physician."

"Really, where do you work?"