Welcome to Paradis

The small group of people who attended his father's funeral were milling about Bertholdt's home. Shaking his hand, telling him how sorry they were.

Many thought Bertholdt's stoic behavior was due to extreme shock and grief. In reality he was a bit relieved that no one was questioning him. The funeral home director was desperate to keep his daughter out of the Warrior program. In exchange for his cooperation, Bertholdt guaranteed he would shift the higher ups eyes away from her.

"I'm so sorry to hear about your father" said Mr. Finger as he shook his hand. "He was a good man"

Bertholdt nodded. "He's going to be dearly missed".

He looked as Mr. Finger began making conversation with Mr. Leonhart.

Bertholdt was a bit surprised that he came. Ever since he came back from Paradis alone, he held Bertholdt responsible for his daughter being held prisoner. In away he understood his anger, Bertholdt really felt like he failed Annie. On the other hand he looked at him as he did Reiner's mother. They both saw their children as a tool for their own personal gain.

He remembered the many nights he would sneak out Annie, making their way to a seaside cliff. Sometimes they contemplated running away, sometimes they just considered jumping.

Bertholdt brought himself back to the present. He scanned the room, wishing people would just leave, and caught Porco staring at him.

As they locked eyes, Porco took that as an invitation to come speak to Bertholdt. He was expecting the same "I'm sorry for your loss" spiel he was getting, but was taken aback when Porco started speaking.

"Guess this makes us even then."

"What are you talking about Porco?"

"My brother, your dad"

"Porco I've told you. Marcel died saving Reiner. I didn't make him push him out of the way."

"You could have used your Titan, any of you"

"He could have too, but he knew the risks. Just like we all did"

"This is why Reiner should have never been the Armored titan" Porco muttered.

Bertholdt did his best to not raise his voice. "How long are you going to hold on to that? You've got the Jaw now, and Reiner's probably dead. I understand that losing your brother was hard. We all cared about Marcel, but treating this like a game...it's just a bit twisted"

Porco jaw tightened as he stared down Bertholdt.

"You know for someone who just lost his father, you seem pretty calm about it"

Bertholdt's pulse quicken. He was about to respond before Pieck stepped in.

"Porco I hope you're playing nice" she said.

"Just offering my condolences to Bertholdt, that I can empathize with losing a family member" he said curtly.

"I think we all can empathize with losing someone close to us" she said tucking a strand of her black hair behind her ear.

"Anyways, my father and I are about to leave so I wanted to come say goodbye, and again tell you how sorry I am".

"Thank you Pieck."

"Porco why don't you come by for some tea?" She asked, well more like was telling him.

Porco gave one last suspicious look to Bertholdt, then allowed Pieck to lead him away.

As the the afternoon faded to evening Bertholdt finally found himself alone in the house.

He sat down in his father's chair and took a sip of his scotch. It had been exhausting to be the "grieving son" for a father who wasn't dead. Well he wasn't dead as of now.