The During: The Worse Feelings

Ney'ite looked down at the sea as she flew back towards the home of the Metkayina.

"LO'AK!" Ney'ite screamed at the open sea. She was desperate to try and find her brother. "LO'AK!" She had no idea how long she had been looking for. Her voice was nearly gone with how loud she had been yelling. "LO'AK!" The worry in her stomach made her want to throw up. She was nearly back to the village and there was still no sight of Lo'ak. Ney'ite looked up and her heart dropped: she was basically back at the village. Her brother was nowhere to be found. Ney'ite looked down and her heart leapt with joy.

It was Lo'ak.

He was swimming towards the village. The water next to him was disturbed, but Ney'ite didn't focus on it. Swirya dove towards the water. Ney'ite jumped off of Swirya's back into the water. She held her breath and swam up towards the surface.

Ney'ite broke the surface and quickly swam towards the village. She pulled herself onto the walkways. She saw that the village was gathering around. She saw her brother walk through the crowd. Ney'ite pushed through the crowd and stood next to Neyetam. She grabbed her song chord and began to run the beads through her fingers. Ney'ite saw Tonowari and Ronal standing in front of her parents and Lo'ak. Aunong was standing behind his parents. He was looking to the ground. Ney'ite gritted her teeth as she looked at him.

"Let me see you," Neytiri said as she grabbed Lo'ak's arm.

"He is unharmed," Ronal said. "It's just a few scratches."

Neytiri's ears went back and hissed, "May Ewya give me strength not to rip the eyes out of my youngest son."

"No," Tonowari shook his head. "My son knew not to take him outside the reef." Tonowari grabbed Aunong's shoulder and forced him to his knees. "The fault is his." He was glaring at his son. "Go on."

"No," Lo'ak shook his head. "t's not Ao'nung's fault. It was my idea." Ney'ite's eyes widened as she looked at Neyetam. They both knew that this wasn't true. Lo'ak may be reckless, but he didn't know the ocean. He would have never done anything like that. "Ao'nung actually tried to talk me out of it."

"Lo'ak," Jake scolded Lo'ak.

"Is it true?" Ronal asked as she looked at her son.

Lo'ak nodded. Ney'ite wanted to scream and and come to her brother's defense, but she knew that it wouldn't do anything. No one would listen to her: they all wanted to see her brother as the one who caused trouble. Jake and Neytiri ushered Lo'ak away. Ney'ite and Neyetam followed behind them. The family finally got outside the prying eyes and ears of the Metkayina clan.

"What were you thinking?" Jake asked Lo'ak. Ney'ite could hear the cold anger in her father's voice.

"You yourself said I should be friends with them," Lo'ak defended himself.

"I don't want to hear about it," Jake cut him off. "You have brought shame on the family."

Ney'ite felt her heart feel with anger. Lo'ak was tricked and left in a strange place while trying to make friends with Aunong.

"Can I leave now?" Lo'ak looked like he wanted to disappear but he didn't duck away from their father's stare.

"Next time I'll tie a knot in your tail," Jake said. "Is that understood?"

"Lima Charlie," Lo'ak said before he walked away.

"Where were the two of you?" Jake turned his attention towards the twins. "You should have been keeping an eye on your brother."

"I am sorry, sir," Neyetam said as he looked down.

"The two of you know Lo'ak," Neytiri said. "You know he needs the two of you to keep him out of trouble."