The During: Lost

Ney'ite was numb as she helped carry Tysal's pyre. It was like she was underwater. She could hear the noises around her, but they were muffled and far away. She couldn't breath. All she could do was to try not and drown in her grief and anger.

Marali's death had shaken Ney'ite to her core and left her with a hole in her heart. Tysal's death had broken Ney'ite and her heart in ways she did not think was possible.

She didn't remember putting Tysal's pyre down. All she knew was that his song was over. She placed her flower and watched as her grandmother placed a seed from their sacred tree on his body. Ney'ite didn't want to watch anymore. She didn't want to acknowledge that he was gone. Ney'ite turned away and walked away from the few who were able to come to Tysal's final journey.

No one said anything to her as she walked away, but Ney'ite could feel the eyes of her brother and Aytanin as she walked away. She knew where they would be going: she just couldn't bring herself to go to the Tree of Souls. If she went and she saw him, it would be real in a way that it wasn't before. Ney'ite couldn't do that to herself. She needed some from of hope that things would be normal. That this was all just a bad dream. She wanted to wake up so badly.

Ney'ite called Swirya to her and flew back their camp. Ney'ite felt the wind through her hair. She was thankful for the distraction. When she was flying, she could focus on everything around her. She could feel the world through Swirya's mind.

Swirya returned Ney'ite to their camp. As Ney'ite dismounted from Swirya, her ikran butted her head against her side. Ney'ite ran her hand over Swirya's head. Swirya let out a throaty growl. Ney'ite knew that her friend was doing her best to comfort the heartbroken girl. Ney'ite rested her forehead on Swirya's before breaking their bond and looking for a space to be alone.

Ney'ite knew exactly where she would be going to get away from the world. It was a hidden open alcove that was just big enough for her to squeeze through. It was perfect because no one would be able to follow her. Ney'ite sat with her back to the wall as she looked at the clouds and mountains that were right in front of her. It didn't seem fair that the world was still so beautiful despite all the tragedy that had happened in her world. Ney'ite took off the necklace that Tysal had given her a lifetime ago.

She looked at the beautiful piece of jewelry in her hands. She ran her fingers over the gray and green stones. They were so smooth and cool. They were bound by soft, warm brown leather. She remembered all the feelings of joy and certainty of that night. She turned the necklace over and allowed her fingers to ghost over the stars that Tysal had carved into the stones. He was so excited that he could blend the histories of both of her parents. Ney'ite held the necklace to her heart and closed her eyes.

"Oh, Great Mother," Ney'ite whispered. "Why have you put me on a path where I must watch those I can about join you before their time. Please, return those I love to me. Let them walk in our world among the people. Free me and the others of my clan from this pain. I beg you, Great Mother, help me understand why you have done all these things."

Ney'ite didn't expect Ewya to answer her, but Ney'ite wanted to hear her voice. She wanted the Great Mother to show Ney'ite her path.

Ney'ite didn't know how long she had been sitting in her hiding hole. All she did was watch the sky and holding on to the last piece of Tysal she had. Ney'ite was broken out of her daze by the sound of her siblings voices.

"Are you sure she's here, bro?" Lo'ak's voice rang out.

"This is where she'll be," Neyetam said. "She'll go to a place where she thinks we can't follow."

"And we can't," Kiri said. "You two couldn't fit your big heads through."

"That's why we brought backup," Neyetam said.