The During: A Sea Full of Stars

"Let me go with you," Neyetam said as he stood in front of Ney'ite. "We don't know what could be lurking around here."

"This isn't the forest, Teyam. I'll be fine," Ney'ite hissed at Neyetam as she attempted to walk out the door of them home. "Leave me alone."

"Leave your sister be, Neyetam," Neytiri said.

Neyetam looked at their parents to try and argue. Their father shook his head while their mother got a stubborn look on her face.

"We're safe here, Neyetam," Jake said.

"See, it's fine," Ney'ite said as she walked around her brother.

"Why can't I go with her?" Tuk whined.

"Because she's by our sides all the time," Kiri said.

"And she's one of the oldest," Lo'ak said.

"Your sister has been very nice and has been training, eating, and hanging out with all of you for the entire time we've been here," Neytiri said as wrapped her arms around Tuk. "If she wants to take a walk by herself, she can."

"Yeah, I'm going to walk alone," Ney'ite stuck her tongue out at Tuk as she walked out of their home.

Now, Ney'ite could hear the sound of the water and the quiet chatter of the village. It was so familiar yet so different. Ney'ite let out a big sigh of relief as she stopped for just a moment. She looked up at the sky. She smiled as she looked at the beauty above her. The stars were still the same.

She made her way to the water. When she got there, Ney'ite walked along the beach. The water lapped at her feet. Ney'ite ran her fingers along her song chord as she walked. She hummed the song as she walked. She knew that the song caught in her throat when she reached the verses of her friends. She continued to hum: it did them no good to forget about them.

"Is that a song from the forest?" an annoyingly familiar voice said.

"No," Ney'ite said as she turned to face Aunong.

"Then what is it?" he asked.

"My song chord," Ney'ite said.

"And what does your song chord tell the world?" Aunong asked.

Ney'ite rolled her eyes, "I have been here just over a week and barely know you." She started to walk down the beach. "I am not telling you every big thing that has happened in my life up to this point."

"And where is the forest girl going?" Aunong teased as he started to walk besides her.

"It's called a walk," Ney'ite kept her eyes forward. "It is something that one does when they want to clear their head or be alone for a few moments."

"Who are you trying to be away from?" Aunong asked.

"Maybe I'm just trying to be away from everyone," Ney'ite said.

"That is unfortunate for them," Aunong said.

"You don't know when to quit, do you?" Ney'ite asked as she turned to look at him.

"It's never been a strength of mine," Aunong smiled.

"Why are you walking the beaches with a forest girl anyways?" Ney'ite asked. "I'm not stupid. I know that you are not happy that my family has come to say. Not to mention the fact that I know you see Lo'ak and Kiri as outsiders more than any of us. Are you really that desperate to fulfill your father's wishes?"

"Don't act like you know my mind," Aunong said.

"You are the oldest child of the Olo'eyktan and Tsahik," Ney'ite said. "I know the pressure that is put on your shoulders."