Chapter 3

When he got there he saw Jade and August in the waiting room. "Jade, how is she?"

"She's fine, Luke. Don't worry. Sit and wait with us."

"Why didn't you tell me you're dating Simon Graph?"

She sighed. "Because I wanted to make sure it would work out before I announced it to everyone."

"You told Roxy."

"No, I didn't. She introduced us. That is the only reason she knew anything. I am surprised she told you now."

"She told me because I had asked her about the Graph's. Do you know about his parents?"

"Yes."

"It's my case now."

"Yours? But...you are going to do both cases? That's putting a lot of stress on you, Luke."

"I don't like it when cases aren't being looked into. Or are unsolved." Two hours later they got to see Kate.

Lucas asked, softly, "How are you, Kate?"

"Tired. Jade, Lucas, and August meet Kyle. Your baby brother. August."

"Baby brother?" August asked.

"Yes."

"Kyle Chapper, that's a good name Kate," Jade said.

"No. If you and Lucas agree it will be Kyle Philips."

"Oh! I agree wholeheartedly. Luke?" He nodded his agreement.

"Good."

"When can we go home, mommy?" August asked.

"Oh, August. Tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay."

"Kate, Luke has taken on another case," Jade said.

"What case?"

"Zack's parents were killed and he took the case," she answered, ignoring her brother's glare.

"Do you think Zack killed them?"

Lucas shook his head. "No, but I do know that he knows about your new baby."

Her eyes widened. "How?" She whispered.

"Bella. She spied on you and told him, according to Simon. Bella apparently told Simon this."

"Why?"

"No idea. He also thinks Zack did not kill Jennifer and Jessica."

"Why?"

"Because they were like sisters to Zack," Jade said.

"Bella was willing to do any job for Zack. She thought Zack should take revenge on you because you kept the baby a secret. Zack didn't like the idea. Again this is from Simon," Lucas added.

"You can trust Simon, Luke," Jade stated.

"I do."

"Are you going to look at it from that angle, Lucas?" Kate asked

"I am looking at it from all angles."

• • •

The Next day Lucas drove them all home. Thirty minutes after arriving there was a knock on the door. Lucas went and opened the door. A young woman was standing there.

"Yes?"

"Hi, I'm April Cooper. I was wondering if I could talk to Detective Philips?"

"I'm him. Please come in." He brought her to the living room. "So what can I do for you?"