Chapter Eighteen- Life is like a game of chess. To win you have to make a move.

Start from the beginning

House shrugged nonchalantly "She doesn't like the team. They don't seem to like her very much either, come to think of it. It's kind of refreshing."

Wilson frowned at him a moment and glanced back at the girls room. "Wait...even Cameron?"

"Apparently."

"But...she's the..."

"The caring one?" House asked turning to explore the oncologist's line of vision.

Wilson turned back "I was going to say least objectionable of you four."

"Charming."

"Accurate."

"Well regardless, the kid seems to prefer me."

There was silence for a few moments while both men considered. Wilson broke it.

"Have you had psyche down to see her yet?"

House smirked and raised an eyebrow. "Are you jealous, Wilson?"

Wilson rolled his eyes. "Wha...why would you even assume...No, I'm not jealous. I just want to know what's going on."

House sighed and leaned on his cane. He hesitated for a moment before answering. "I don't know. There's just something about her that intrigues me." He caught sight of Wilson's expression and added hastily " Oh don't look at me like that, I just think there's more to her symptoms than meets the eye."

"And that's it?" Wilson asked waving a hand in a is it that cut and dry sort of way.

House looked at him again and before he could utter a word Wilson had turned his earlier gesture into a wagging finger.

"I KNEW it. I knew there was something else. This case is downright BORING by your standards. Out with it, What is it?"

"I...She just ..."

The hesitation in his friend seemed to defuse Wilson. He dropped his hand and stood looking helplessly at him "What is it House?" He asked quietly.

"Doesn't matter," House said dismissively with a shake of his head. "Look, I'm just trying to help her. She's got some serious issues that nobody else seems to be helping with."

"So what, you're trying to play hero?" Wilson asked skeptically. "You don't play the hero, it's not your thing. You can't just decide to do other people's things. There's rules."

"I'm not playing anything," House growled defensively.

"Aren't you?"

"No, I'm not. Like I keep telling you, she's a patient, I'm a Doctor. I just think I can help her."

"And you think, despite what her file clearly indicates and despite the fact for your normal clientele that medically she's as dull as sand that she needs your particular brand of help?"

House heaved a sigh this time. "Not necessarily. But I think she needs someone's help and there's something I can't put my finger on right now."

"That's all you're going to tell me?" Wilson said his hands back on his hips.

House stared, leaning on his cane and did nothing more than raise his eyebrows again.

After a few moments of silence between them both "Fine," Wilson exhaled deeply, throwing up his hands. "Fine. But just... be careful, okay? You don't want to get too involved."

House smirked. "Too late for that, Wilson. I'm already knee-deep in teenage angst."

"I mean it, House. I've seen you obsess over patients before, it never ends well. As your friend I'm trying to make sure someone helps you when you need it. Let her parents help her."