Thirteen

Vanessa wiped her hands over her face, a sigh drawing from her lips as her fingers lingered upon the delicate skin. They tingled slightly at the memory of him moving against her in ways her body immediately recognised.

In her usual fashion Vanessa's response to their kiss was simply to avoid Miguel entirely. She'd quickly reverted back to her previous tactics, suddenly becoming busy whenever he called, dipping into different areas of the facility as soon as she felt his presence surrounding her, and ducking out of conversations when her senses became engulfed by him. She'd even been taking on more solo missions, not wanting to deal with the hassle of other spider-people questioning her avoidance and odd behaviour around the facility. Not that people noticed. They were much too busy thinking about their own heartbreakingly painful existences. It was a childish way to cope, she knew that really, but she wasn't up for the long, drawn out and heartfelt conversation that lay ahead of her whenever she wandered into his eye line.

Though in all her attempts to avoid Miguel, Vanessa couldn't stop the feelings of want and the thoughts of what their kiss could've led to had she not broke it off. The kisses they shared had always been this way. Deadly, detrimental to her stability. They were both the poison and the antidote to each others heartbreak and she knew, despite all of her efforts to stay away, he'd find a way to crawl back beneath her skin.

And that he did.

-0-

Miguel was in torment. His apartment was littered with small possessions strewn across the floors, her scent still seeping in through his skin as he tried everything he could to move his mind from her. Every through that graced his mind quickly slipped back to reconnect with the simple idea of her.

Vanessa Torres had seeped back into his bloodstream and he wasn't sure there was a way to get her back out.

Sure, this is what he'd wanted. He'd craved the familiar warmth, comfort and intoxicating rush of her touch. But he was so frightened by the way she'd jumped back at any sort of tough that wasn't related to their work that he'd pulled himself back. Until four days ago. Miguel wasn't sure what had come over him. He wasn't sure what happened to the constant resolve that he kept up around her, how it slipped for long enough that he'd let himself become so close to her, so wrapped up in her familiarity and comfort that he forgot how much pain he'd put her through.

Miguel let his forehead rest against the cool glass of his window, looking out onto the dark streets of Nueva York, wishing she was somewhere buried in those crowds of people. That he didn't have to travel to a whole other universe to even be in the same city as her.

For the past four days his mind was consumed with plans, plans that allowed him to just speak to her. Her avoidance was clear, she'd consistently and persistently slipped from his grasp repeatedly and he was trying everything he could. Anything so she'd just talk to him without running the risk of making her feel trapped, pushing her to a point where she blew up and pushed them right the way back to step one. Miguel was worried it was too late. That it'd already happened. That his moments of desperate need had destroyed three months worth of work he'd poured into reigniting their relationship.

He had to talk to her, had to feel her touch again. Or else he wasn't sure he could live through the agony of her casting him aside once more.

—————————————————————

AUTHORS NOTE

Apologies for the short chapter and for making you wait, i have intense writers block :(