Four

It was the gloomy, winter days that Vanessa liked best, being able to sit upon a roof top and watch as the rainfall cast a blur over the world. Neon signs shining through the droplets like stained glass. Moments such as these made her feel grateful for being Arachne. Without that she didn't think she'd appreciate these moments of peace as much as she was now.

The weathers sounds acted as a gentle lullaby to her as she leaned her head back, allowing the water to rush across her cheeks leaving a pink hue from the chill. She'd loved the rain before the bite, just in a different sense. As a civilian she'd enjoyed sitting beside one of the large windows in her apartment, watching the droplets thrash against the glass and smiling at the sound they made. She'd enjoyed curling up in front of her tv with a steaming mug of tea cradled between her palms as she listened.

But it was different now. Almost as if she were connected to the water as it fell. Maybe it was something to do with her bite. She ran her thumb over the spot, a tingle running through her veins even now.

She could recall every moment of that night as though it had happened yesterday. She'd been walking home from a date, one that ended horribly, when the downpour began.

"¿En serio?" She whined pulling her jacket up to cover her head. It did little to shield her from the weeping clouds attack as she quickened her pace.

"Jesucristo, ¿qué hice para merecer esto?" She muttered watching her feet in an attempt to prevent her from slipping. Though the only thing it really did was seal her fate.

Not looking where she was going Vanessa was unable to catch onto the fact there was a rather large streetlight that she was swiftly approaching. Smacking straight into it she heard the sickening sound of her skull crunch. "Ah, shit, fuck, oh my god." Vanessa whined as she cradled her head in her hands, eyes squeezed shut as she cried out in pain. "Stupid fucking streetlight."

As she moaned she unconsciously began stepping backwards into the alleyway behind her. Her skull throbbed as she dropped down onto the ground whining as the rain began to soak through her clothes. She was so distraught over her injury she failed to notice the gentle touch of a spiders legs as it scuttled over her bare skin. Only noticing it's presence once she shifted, almost crushing the creature as she did so forcing it to attack in the only way it knew how.

It was in that dingy alleyway, the one she was looking down upon now, that she was bitten by that radioactive spider. It was in that alley that her life had been changed forever.

"Gracias pequeña araña," she whispered, caressing the spot, allowing it to set all the nerves in her body aflame. Until the light of her watch alerted her to a new mission. "Until next time."

She swung onto the scene, landing silently as she surveyed the area. "Where is everyone?" She whispered failing to see any spider-person in the vicinity.

As a portal opened beside her she jumped back at the sound, watching as two figures emerged. The first she could never mistake, his broad shoulders dominating the space as he stalked through. The second was vastly different. The vest that was thrown across his shoulders was heavily adorned with studs and markings as a sharp row of spikes ran across the centre of his head.

Vanessa clicked her tongue at the pair. "Now now boys, what time do you call this?"

Though she couldn't see his face she could sense the aggressive eye-roll hidden beneath Miguel's mask. "Wait for my signal."

The trio moved forward silently, awaiting any sort of sign that the anomaly they had been sent for was nearby.

They didn't have to wait long before a bright flash of colour erupted from the ceiling as the creature glitched, dropping from its position above them. Vanessa wasted no time in rushing forward, moving to wrap the creature in her webs, ignoring Miguel's angered shouts.

Another Me - Miguel O'haraOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara