Eleven

Miguel breathed deeply, his chest aching as his lungs filled, his legs faltering with each step as he crept along the sidewalk. He'd been hurt, badly. There were deep slashes all across his skin, his bones ached and his lip swelled with a new found bruise coating it. He knew that really he should be in the facility right now, in the medical centre allowing his highly programmed machines to patch up the worst of his injuries. Though, here he found himself in her universe, limping slowly up to her building with his heart full of exhaustion and a craving for comfort.

He knew that it probably wasnt the right thing to do. That they weren't quite close enough to where this could be a welcomed event but he couldn't quite stop himself from letting his body indulge him in its desperate desire for her touch.

Miguel paused for a moment, staring up at her building in the dark. From where he stood he could see the balcony that opened into her apartment. There was a faint glow emitting from the windows, alerting him of her presence and this alone made his body relax, his muscles loosening beneath his skin.

Though his status was near critical Miguel mustered up the energy to swing and leap up onto her balcony. He peered through the doors, his eyes scanning the room for a glimpse of her. He came up empty and slowly let himself into the apartment.

The room was dimly lit, a single lamp sitting on a nearby cabinet casting small rays through the balcony doors. He looked around, his eyes longing to catch the sight of her just for a second as his body throbbed around his skeleton.

Suddenly his ears pricked to the sound of her soft voice muffled through her bedroom door. Miguel moved back slightly, not wanting to startle her with his hulking and blood-soaked presence. He watched as the door opened and she moved through. A long green summer dress flowed around her figure as she smiled and laughed with her phone pressed against her ear. Vanessa's eyes trained onto her kitchen as she walked right by Miguel, never catching a glimpse at even his shadow as she moved passed him.

His heart ached as he watched her smile and laugh into the device, her voice soft, almost sickeningly sweet as she spoke through it. He wondered who was on the other end, if it was a friend, a colleague. Or if it were her new someone. Someone he couldn't be angry at her for having. Miguel's agony spiralled further until his throat twisted and he noticed his vision grow blurry.

He blamed his injuries, the loss of blood making his brain foggy and his eyes watery as he swayed back and forth trying everything in his power not to fall to the floor behind her. He didn't want to scare her, not when she looked so happy, so beautiful and, so peaceful in the soft fabric that hung from her body.

He waited for her conversation to end, silently swallowing the painful groans that bubbled in his throat as he watched her pull Tupperware from her fridge and scape it onto a plate. It felt like weeks had gone by before she finally hung up, dropping the phone onto the counter in front of her and opening the microwave above her fridge.

She was about to start it when Miguel took a heavy step forward. The hair on her neck stood up, goosebumps rising across her bare skin as she froze in place. The groan that slipped past his lips make her shiver as she dared to look over her shoulder. Once her eyes landed on his wounded figure wobbling beside the open balcony doors her brows knit together in worry, her face falling as her gaze flickered across his body.

"Miguel?" She whispered taking a tentative step closer. "Is that you?'

He nodded. "Ayúdame."

Her face fell as his quiet plea. She quickly rushed toward him, her arms extending in time to support his weight as he stumbled toward her. "What happened to you?" She moved him into her kitchen, concern and panic swimming in her eyes as she watched him move. "You look awful."