Nine

"You're kidding!" Penelope exclaimed, straw resting against her bottom lip.

Vanessa shook her head as she swallowed. "No, unfortunately I am not."

Once Vanessa had awoken only to remember that the events of the night before were in fact not a dream, she knew she needed desperately to get it off her chest.

And a drink couldn't hurt.

And so her and Penelope sat across from one another in a bar clad in some of the shortest dresses they owned sipping cocktails and swaying to the music blaring around them.

"God you're so lucky," Penelope groaned. "He's so hot."

Vanessa shot a glare across the table. "We remember when I told you how he treated me, right?"

She nodded taking another sip from her drink before responding. "No no, of course we do. He's got a pretty face, but an ugly personality. That's all."

"I suppose." Vanessa sighed rubbing beneath her eye. "I just don't know how the fuck I'm supposed to be in his presence let alone work with him now without it being painfully uncomfortable."

Penelope laid a hand over hers, smiling as she spoke. "That's for tomorrow you to think about. Right now all you need to worry about is how rusty your dance moves are."

Vanessa snorted. "Don't make me laugh." As she finished her drink a new song began to play causing a squeal to leave her mouth. "Oooh! I love this song!" She jumped from her seat, grabbing Penelope's hand as she moved toward the dance floor.

Her hips swayed to the beat as the voice of Rob Thomas flowed throughout the room. She held onto Penelope's hands, spinning herself around as the cocktails flowed through her bloodstream letting her muscles relax beneath her skin. Singing along to the words she found herself all but grinding against her friend. "And it's just like the ocean under the moon," she sung hearing Penelope giggling behind her as they moved in unison. "It's the same as the emotion that I get from you."

They laughed together, moving their bodies along with the melody as lights moved around their faces. Vanessa grinned grabbing ahold of her friends face as she sung, "give me your heart make it real or else forget about it." With her face mer inches from Penelope's she could smell the sweet strawberry scent of their drinks as her breath tickled her skin with the laugh that passed through her lips.

Breaking apart, Vanessa's hands ran through her hair, hips swaying as the melody buzzed through her veins. Her heart was beating in her ears as her cheeks began to ache. She could feel eye on her as she moved but the alcohol swirled round in her brain making her thoughts grow fuzzy and her movements hazy. She turned again seeing Penelope making hands at her and smiled again, dancing over to her as the music flowed.

They giggled together, dancing against one another as best they could while the people around blurred into one incoherent mess of colour and sound. Vanessa's master plan to forget about the incident was being executed beautifully as the song drew to a close.

The pair were out of breath, panting as they made their way to the bar before sliding back into their seats, fresh drinks in hand.

"That was hot," Penelope exclaimed, smile stretched wide across her rosy cheeks. "No wonder Miguel wanted to kiss you so bad. I would've!"

Vanessa smiled as she took a long sip from her glass. "I knew you couldn't resist me. I'm just too sexy to pass up." She shot a wink across the table, eating the strawberry from her glass.

"Woah, keep it in your pants!" Penelope squealed, gently pushing Vanessa across the table. "You know I can't control myself around you!"

Once more they fell into a fit of giggles, their faces turning a rosy red as they laughed. That was until the watch wrapped around Vanessa wrist lit up.