Preparations, Precautions, Promises

((Hello again, everyone. Thanks for bearing with me as I slowly finish this baby. I've been very busy but I think I am starting to see my ending much clearer lately. ))

I knew with everything in me that today was the day. All this ugliness was coming to a head. Severus had known for some time that Potter would likely make his way here. I did not know why, but something Albus knew told him that it was probable. After Severus had kissed me goodbye this morning I knew that he knew something. I got dressed, choosing a black wool garment that reminded me of him. Close fitting, large pockets, and nicely utilitarian, I would embody him to give me strength.

When the announcement to proceed to the Great Hall came, I did not go. Walking cautiously in empty hallways, I began our preparations. I raided the potion master's store cupboard and took all healing and curse breaking potions. I left a note that I was moving these to the hospital wing. I went through the cupboards in the potions classroom and placed in easy sight all the ingredients to the simplest healing salves, which I magiced every textbook open to. Maybe, just maybe, those unable to fight might be able to hide here and make themselves useful.

Prior to today, I had written out instructions on how to cast a secure locking spell on dozens of small cards which now dangled on twine loops. I deposited my first card of instructions on the inside of the Potion's classroom doorknob. I prayed that any student needing a spot to keep themselves safe would find the instructions and seal this door.

The instructions were for a spell Severus and I had been working on for a few weeks now. It was a repetitive chorus of chanting while the caster circled the doorknob with their wand. This made a ward that should make it difficult for anyone with intentions of harming people to pass through.

We wanted students to be able to keep themselves safe while not locking other students out in the corridors. I had a stack of these spell instructions which I intended to deposit on strategic internal door knobs that should go unnoticed until they are needed. I hung the instructions on the inside knob of every single classroom. Sanctuaries for the future battlefield.

As I was moving the extra dittany and other healing supplies to a secure area of the hospital wing where those looking for them would find them, I began to hear the noises of change in the castle.

I tried not to cringe over the sounds. There was an eruption of shouts, the students yelling. Yelling for what though? I could not be happy over it, for joy amongst the students was likely to mean Severus was not exactly safe.

I felt ill to think about what anything meant. I chose to continue to hide from the truth of what was happening. I went to my office to leave a note where Letisha would find it. Upon entering my office though, I barely made it inside before I was stunned and hit the rug like a tonne of bricks.

When I came to, I was tied in my office chair, my hands biting painfully against the ropes behind the back of the chair. Groggy, I blinked several times before I put together that Letisha was the person who had stunned me. I squinted at her, trying to make my vision focus. "Professor Flitwick is on his way." She informed me with crossed arms.

"Why?" I asked, my voice cracked, my throat was dry. How long had I been unconscious?

"To decide if you should be allowed to roam about. They already have the Carrows tied up in the dungeons. I thought someone should decide whether you need to go down there too. Your boyfriend is already gone. Did you know he can fly with no broom?"

"I'm not working with the Carrows." I grumble. I desperately want to rub my aching head. "Why did you see him fly?"

"Well he flew out a window when Professor McGongall was kicking his ass."