He appeared flustered. He opened his mouth to speak but snapped it shut, like he was struggling to find words.

  “What, Ian? Nothing to say? Because you know, I'm freaking right! I get that you want to be a big brother and protect me, but I am capable of making the right decisions. I know right from wrong, and I know how I feel. I don’t require assistance in any area. Beside making my own damn money,” I added, lost in my own rant. “Which is the first thing on my list to change after this stupid grounding bullshit is over.”

  He paused on that note. “You wanna be independent? You think you're ready for adulthood?”

  “I know I am.”

  “Fine. You want a job? Be at the administrative office at nine a.m. tomorrow, ready for an interview.”

  I froze. “What? For real?” 

  “Why not? I’m tired of hearing you bitch about being an adult, and if money is the only thing restricting you from your parents, then let’s fix that.”

  “A job on the compound? Away from Cincinnati?”

  “Do you want the interview or not?” he demanded, frustrated.

  “Y-yes,” I quickly replied without thinking. 

  “Tomorrow at nine,” he repeated, leaving my room with the sound of the door slamming.

  Did that really just happen? Did I have a job?

  Oh my goodness! I was gonna make my own money! I was gonna be capable of taking care of myself without my parents' support and opinions! 

  It was like a dream coming true!

  Overwhelmed with the possibility of my dreams becoming reality, I wanted to share the news with someone—NO!

  Guilt tightened my chest for thinking of him at all, let alone before Nic or even Tyler. There wasn’t much of an explanation for it other than Alex being more a part of my life lately than anyone else, including Ian.

  I ignored those facts and the emotions they stirred and instead concentrated on my new offer of employment and what that entailed. Like the temporariness of the job while I stayed here, and if that could easily switch to being permanent if I liked it? 

  But that thought only reeled in a whole other set of discouraging concerns. Like not returning home but remaining here. Could I leave all my friends and parents and the only life I knew? 

  Come to think of it, was I truly ready to be an adult? To make decisions that affected my entire life and could alter it drastically?

  Oh man. I was feeling less optimistic about the idea the deeper I analyzed it. Perhaps I got ahead of myself without grasping the full aspect of things?

  Just like a kid would, I cursed.

  This was too much! A break was required from overthinking before it resulted in a panic attack. Because that would, of course, occur if I continued to dwell on my life’s ambitions. No clear perspective would be gained, and the complex situation was more than I was accustomed to.

  I decided to go eat lunch and maybe hit up the library again. But while ambling to the cafeteria, my thoughts still lingered on the interview tomorrow. The pressure to succeed caused anxiety and stress. It didn’t help matters when I entered the hall, nearly coming to a halt when my vision was filled with the sight of Alex sitting with his back to me and a chatty but pretty redhead across from him. 

  Obviously, she was a werewolf. Her tanned complexion was covered in too much makeup for a simple lunch, and her attire was a skin-tight, deep V-neck shirt that accentuated her larger breasts. I loathed the way she leaned across the table toward Alex.