Chapter Twenty-Three - I want this.

"I told you," Oakey sighed, looking at Kayce through the bathroom mirror the next morning. "Tate didn't want to talk about it, and I didn't pressure him."

"I just feel like there's more to last night," Kayce shrugged.

Oakley turned the water in the sink off and turned around to face Kayce.

"You saw what I did," Oakley sighed. "Tate came in and asked to sleep in here with us. When I asked him if he wanted to talk about it he shook his head."

"Then why do I feel you aren't telling me everything?" Kayce asked.

"That sounds like it's your issue," Oakley shrugged, knowing that she sounded like a brat right now.

"Why were you already awake?" Kayce asked.

"I just was," Oakley eyed him. "Just woke up for some reason...I don't know maybe I heard Tate coming up the stairs or something."

Kayce didn't believe her. Oakley could see from Kayce's eyes that he didn't believe her. He was standing his ground, blocking the doorway back into their bedroom. Oakley let out a deep sigh, crossing her arms in front of her.

"Oakley..." Kayce's eyes were pleading with her. "Why were you already awake?"

"I had another nightmare, okay?" She admitted. "That's why I was already awake when Tate came into the bedroom."

"Oaks," Kayce walked over to her.

"Wait," Oakley held out her hands, not wanting Kayce to hug her.

"What?" Kayce asked.

"I'm sorry," Oakley pushed her hair back from her face. "I'm just...angry at myself that I had one and I don't need sympathy for it either."

"Same as the others?" Kayce asked, but Oakley could tell he was frustrated she had stopped him from comforting her. 

"It was the accident," Oakley nodded. "But it ended with Tate yelling at me that I killed her."

"Jesus, Oakley," Kayce sighed. "Do you need to call Dr. Jenkins?"

"We're seeing him Thursday," Oakley shook her head.

"Why are you so irritated?" Kayce eyed her now.

"Because I thought I was done with them," Oakley said as if she couldn't believe Kayce didn't understand her frustrations.

"Maybe that's why you should call Jenkins?" Kayce offered. "It might be better for him to help now and not wait until you see him."

"Don't see why waiting a few more days would hurt," Oakley argued. "What's he supposed to do over a phone?"

"What if you have more nightmares in between?" Kayce asked. "I think it also helps Jenkins in figuring out what would help you best if he knew before-"

"Didn't realize you were also a therapist?" Oakley snapped.

Kayce opened his mouth to say something back but shut it quickly. Oakley's eyes softened as she registered how she was taking this out on Kayce.

"Kayce...I'm sorry," She dropped her arms back to hold the sink behind her, her head dipped low.

"Dad! Let's go!" Tate called from downstairs.

Kayce looked at Oakley.

"Are you okay here by yourself?" He asked her.

"Yes," Oakley answered softly.

"Alright," Kayce nodded. "We'll be back in a few hours."

He turned and left the bathroom. Oakley waited until she heard the front door shut before she turned back around and looked into the mirror. She looked tired, but one would be who didn't get sleep the night before.