Chapter 3: Heartful Musical Gathering

Afterschool

"I'm still amazed at how easy it is for beast folks to trust you, then again, there's scientific evidence." Iris says as she checks her bag.

After meeting Lucy this morning and cleaning her tail for her, she went looking for us in our classroom to have lunch with us. She must've taken a liking to me like how Rushia took a liking to Iris.

"And I'm still amazed at how Rushia is so comfortable around you and how you act like a mama wolf, holding her and such." I tell Iris.

"I can't explain it myself... It just feels like I have to protect that small kitten when she's near me." Iris says with her wolf ears twitching while in thought. Rushia comes to our classroom to look for Iris ever since we met her.

Karato-nee thinks Iris' mama wolf instincts were triggered by Rushia. This being cited from research that has been done in the psychology and instincts of beast folks which explains why many of them intentionally go out of their way to become parents earlier, because their protective instincts to their children is noticeably stronger to the point of being able to feel when their children are in danger despite being several miles away from each other. Though everyone likes to point out the irony that it was discovered by a descendent of Erwin Schrodinger... who's a cat beast folk... I wonder if the universe has a sense of irony?

"Speaking of little kittens, I wonder how Chiyu is doing?" I say, recalling the cat-themed-headphone-wearing musician. I miss her.

"You have such a soft spot for her, don't you?" Iris says.

"You really hit it off with her after you, Alisa-chan and I became friends with her mother." Onee-chan comments as she appears next to us, showing off her ability to show up unannounced.

Us three in Resonant Tails had a chance to meet world-class violinist, Miu Tamade, she approached us in person after one of our performances, praising us and asking us if we would like to perform with her. Her request shocked us, especially me to the point of me freezing up on the spot, I mean, we were only in our early stages of performing back then. We accepted (Onee-chan's puppy-dog eyes begged me) her offer and we were able to perform well enough that we were asked to perform with her two more times. She seemed pleased with our talent and often told us to 'keep doing your best'.

"Yeah, I couldn't help but treat her like a kitten." I say with a smile.

"And Chiyu always looked forward to you visiting her." Onee-chan says with a smile.

"She does live in the city, maybe I should see her sometime. I didn't tell her we were in Japan." I say as I look out the window.

"If you did, she would've tracked you down herself." Alisa says.

"Well, now that Onee-chan is here, how about we continue this discussion on the way to work?" I ask and everyone nods.

"Nya." Houseki meows as she holds her arms up to me and I pick her up.

"Los!" Jane exclaims in German as we exit the classroom and head to CiRCLE.

----------

1 hour later

"Marina-san asked you to ask a band for comments?" I ask as I come across Iris in the studio area hallway holding a clipboard.

"Da." Iris nods affirmatively. "Afterglow."

"Afterglow, Tsugumi's band. Mind if I tag along?" I ask Iris.

"I'd be happy if you do." Iris says as her tail wags.