An Affair of Honour

"I have never understood the fashion for feathers in the hair." Eloise states as she, Elizabeth and Penelope all huddle around a cart full of feathers for the hair. Elizabeth chuckles as she says," nor me, it is simply revolting."

"Why would a woman want to draw more notice to the fact that she is like a bird squeaking for a man's attention in some bizarre ritual?" Eloise adds on, looking at the feather in her hand with disgust.

"Then why pretend we are looking?" Penelope asks, rather confused. Eloise puts the feather back as she responds with," because I would rather do anything then stay a moment longer in that house while everyone flutters around Daphne, cooing over her prospects...or sit with pining Benedict who has non stop talked about Elizabeth all season; please debut next season and put me out of my misery."

"I think my mother is planning on my debut next season, so do not worry." Elizabeth responds, the thought of becoming a debutante no longer making her fill with worry and dread. If Benedict really was pining after her; he was definitely going to be a suitor of hers next season.

"Is the Prince still courting Daphne?" Penelope asks as the three begin to walk together side by side." I imagine you cannot wait for the engagement."

"Pen, once they are engaged, I shall be next in line. I have Beth's fate now that Eddie is wed. All attention shall turn to me." Eloise replies quickly, and Elizabeth nods at that for she is not wrong; her brother has barely been married for a day and her mother and father were already planning hers." So, if anything, I hope Daphne stays on the shelf forever."

"She must marry eventually." Penelope comments.

"Why must our only options be to squeak and settle or to never leave the nest?" Eloise asks, slightly outraged." What if I want to fly?...you know who is flying? Lady Whistledown. She is up in the sky. A brilliant woman of business who fools the entire ton, whilst pocketing their money. Imagine the life she must lead. Independence."

"I aspire to be that successful." Elizabeth states, somewhat dreamily." I do wish of marriage and children; but I also wish for a career doing what I love. I just wish it were as simple for a woman to achieve it as it is a man...one thing is for certain about Lady Whistledown; she is for sure not simpering on the edge of a ballroom every night, praying a man might take a fancy and leg-shackle her into marriage."

"You are not even a debutante this season and you have my brother falling at your feet; willing to dance whenever you are together at a ball." Eloise tells her, Elizabeth chuckling slightly." You are not simpering on the edge of a ball, either, Beth. I shall be surprised if you are not the diamond of your season—

"That is quite the life you both have imagined for Lady Whistledown." Penelope comments, turning the subject back onto the matter at hand and not of Benedict and Elizabeth.

"We must meet her so that she might share her secrets in how to avoid such a wretched, uninteresting fate." Gasps Eloise; making Elizabeth chuckle yet again at the mere thought, Penelope joining her as the three link arms.

"Lady Whistledown's identity is quite protected." Reminds Penelope, causing Eloise to follow up with," are we not the three most clever girls in the ton? If anyone can find her, it is us, I rather think."

"What makes you believe she wishes to be found, El?" Asks Elizabeth at the same time Penelope says," if I could get out of any of the weeks events to help you, I would."

"I can help as best I can if my mother and father will not breathe down my neck at every event. I do not understand why we must attend anymore of them. Edward is married." Elizabeth comments, and Eloise turns to Penelope and suggests," pretend an illness. Tell your mother you caught whatever Marina had."