Bravery isn't just willing to fight (it is also choosing to lay down the sword)

TW: PTSD, abuse, neglect,
Please let me know if I missed any

"He hit you?" Father asked.

"Oh, yeah, that happened." Techno said faintly.

"What do you mean that happened, he fucking socked you in the face!" Tommy said loudly.

Techno only shrugged. "He's an old man, plus it's not the first time something has happened to my face." He tilted his head to show off the jagged scar over his nose.

Father sort of stood there with his mouth agape before turning to Wilbur. "Has this happened before?"

Wilbur knew what he meant. Has this happened when we weren't watching, when we weren't there, when you were alone.

"I haven't been socked in the face." He said, wording his response carefully.

"But?"

"But I've been insulted, screamed at, punished for stupid things, and had to bear witness to constant fights, and parental slander." The brunette finished quickly.

"We should really leave." Mother said, putting a hand on Father's shoulder.

"We should."

● ● ●

It took Techno and Wilbur 2 minutes to get everything ready.

Mostly Wilbur though, Techno didn't touch his bag. While they waited, the two hugged each other, whispered apologies, and thank you's that were only for the two of them.

Wilbur cried, out of sadness, and out of relief, he would be free from this place within an hour.

He was glad Tommy told them. Because the brunette never had the guts to do it. And maybe that's how Techno felt about things too. He laughed under his breath, about the gilded image of his twin that he held in his mind. Because that wasn't who Techno was.

He wasn't outgoing and bold and loud, that was Tommy.

Techno was timid, a bit scared, nervous and anxious, yet he still seemed brave to the brunette.

Brave for being there, for never backing down from protecting Tommy, and Wilbur.

Brave for sharing his past, no matter how much suffering he had endured.

Brave for standing by the brunette's side, even though, when push came to shove, Wilbur shoved the strawberry blond so far, he thought his brother would never forgive him.

But Techno proved him wrong, leaping back to his side when it mattered most. Fighting back over a force above both of them. Embracing the brunette with the reassurance that he wouldn't ever leave.

And maybe if that was how brave was defined, maybe Wilbur was brave too.

Maybe, when it came down to it, bravery was putting others before you, protecting them however you could.

Maybe it took bravery for Wilbur to not tell his parents, just how it took bravery when Techno talked back, even if it was against what he thought.

Maybe everyone could be brave, not just the soldiers fighting for their nation. The spies who risk their lives for intel. The people who stand up to others and are beaten for it. And the people who hide the ones who need it.

● ● ●

Lesson 2: be quick or face punishment

The woman frowned. "What is your name?"

"Tech- Technoblade."

The little boy yelped in pain as the woman backhanded him across the face. "We do not stutter in this house, understood?" She tutted "and Technoblade is a stupid name. If I am to call you, you will be addressed as Scamp, understood?"

Techno faltered for a moment and earned a disapproving look. He took a deep breath, "Yes." He managed without stuttering.

"Yes what?" The woman leered.

Techno paused to think, he hadn't thought of what to address the woman.

"Answer me!" The woman raised her voice.

"Y- yes ma'am?"

Another smack across the face. "We sound unsure of ourselves." She said mock pittyingly. "How do we address me?"

"Sorry Madam." He said quickly.

The woman got out of his face with a satisfied noise. "We do not stutter in this house, nor do we hesitate."

● ● ●

"Madam? May I get some bread?"

"No, not at the moment."

The little boy bit his lip, he knew better than to talk back.

"Yes Madam."

He walked back to his room. At least she graced him with a room.

He carefully pushed the window open, leaning out to get some fresh air.

It smelled of the freedom he no longer had.

He doesn't know how long he had been standing at the open window, but Madam came up.

"What are you doing?"

The question hadn't registered in Techno's brain, and once it did, the woman was right next to him. She smacked his arm. It was a sharp pain, that dulled after a moment, but it was still pain.

"What. Are. You. Doing?"

"I am looking at the stars, Madam." He said, facing her. "I apologize for my late reply."

Madam waved him off. "Do better next time." Was all she said before slamming the door and locking it.

No dinner tonight he thought with a shred of disappointment. He would've liked to eat something.

___________________________

Trying to start this chapter was quite a challenge.

I think this book is coming to an end, which seems very quick. This is probably one of my shorter books because the plot isn't plotting.

Have a great day/night my friends! 💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙