When there was only about forty minutes left of detention, a phone started ringing. I recognized that it wasn’t mine, and Rikert didn’t seem fazed by it. So it must have been Mr. Shneider’s. I was proved right when he grabbed it a second later and stood. He told us to behave and left the room, shutting the door behind him.

Rikert let out a frustrated groan once it was just the two of us. I ignored him and stretched out my stiff arms.

“I hate this place,” Rikert whined. “It’s torture!”

I laughed at him. “Maybe you shouldn’t get in trouble then.”

“Shut up,” he grumbled. “I didn’t try to set the damn oven on fire.”

I chuckled at him. “Right.”

“At least I’m in here for a good reason,” Rikert scoffed. “You’re the one who got caught skipping class. That’s amateur work.” I glared at him. He turned his body so he was better facing me. “Seriously, though. What guy dips out on gym? That should be your best class.”

I turned my glare away from his eyes. He was right. I’d only skipped because of him. He was an ass to me. And that was a tiny part of what made me like him. Even if that was weird and made absolutely no sense. Me cheeks felt a little warm and I clenched my fists. Blushing wasn’t something I did often. So this was just cruel.

“What?” Rikert asked, smirking at me. “You didn’t ditch because of me, did you?”

My voice turned to ice. “Don’t flatter yourself.”

“Oh God,” he said, starting to laugh. “You did!”

I didn’t know how or why this was happening. I wasn’t quite sure how to respond. I crossed my arms and went back to glaring at him with narrowed eyes. It was the only defense mechanism I had. “Don't be a twat.”

Rikert didn’t respond. He was just staring at me, making me extremely uncomfortable. I didn’t like the feel of his eyes on me. It was like a heavy weight on my shoulders. It made me feel weird and my chest began to tighten.

“Quit,” I told him firmly.

The corners of his lips twitched. “Quit what?”

“Looking at me,” I said.

Rikert smiled slyly at me. “Come here,” he said with a low voice.

I gave him a confused look. “What are you talking about? I’m sitting right next to you,” I said a little apprehensively.

Rikert moved one of his arms forward and carefully grabbed my wrist with his hand. My eyes went a little wide. My throat felt tight and I think my mind went blank for a few moments.

Rikert pulled me close, surprisingly with no objection from me. That was mainly because I was so thrown off-guard by what he was doing. My jaw dropped open a bit and my heart was thumping wildly against my ribcage.

When he stopped pulling me towards him, his face was so close that I could taste his breath on my lips. And I hated myself so much in that moment because the only thing going through my mind was how badly I wanted this. My body was craving this level of closeness with Rikert.

My eyes were glued to his lips as they moved with his words. “Do you like me?” he asked in a deep and raspy voice. I nodded quickly, dazed by such a close proximity to this specimen. His grip on my wrist tightened sweetly. Then his other hand moved to grab firmly onto my knee. “Do you want this?” he whispered to me.

I didn’t have a clue what I was doing. It felt like I’d lost all control of myself. I hadn’t been mentally prepared for such a drastic turn of events like this. Never in a million years would I have been able to predict Rikert would be doing this to me. That’s how I found myself nodding my head once again in response to his question.