Chapter 14 // Dimension of Flesh

My eyes were weighted down by the tiredness of my body. It was unusual for me to wake up this early. I lightly combed my hair, slipped my black hoodie onto my white shirt and flop on my black cap to cease the bushiness of my hair. I walked out my apartment, it was as if I am robbing the Sun blind while it slept in its slumber. The air was freezing, it was like walking through a blizzard with no snow. There they were, Defect was standing at the entrance of Galf's shop with nothing but his customized rebel uniform and a simple lantern. Bobo, on the other hand, stood next to Defect with his hands clenched against his warm uniform. Although he had been wearing about four layers of clothing, he was shivering like if someone shook him violently.

"Good morning, Jard," Defect greeted, with left arm around Bobo in attempt to warm him up.

"It seems very weird to be saying that" I answered, looking up at the stars painted in the sky, "especially when it is dark,"

"Okay. Good night even though it is 3 am in the morning," Defect repeated.

"Ah, you got a point," I sighed, "Good morning to you both,"

I looked at Bobo, who was still shaken up by the cold breeze.

"Come on, it's not that cold!" I commented.

"That's easy for you to say! You had been to icebreaker like 10 times!" he replied.

I get it. Icebreaker has freezing snow. Every time I travelled to that dimension; I was almost frozen solid. Since that I tried to be as light as possible, the only thing I was wearing was my black cap, grey jeans and the white shirt with my black hoodie covering it. I must had got used to the frosty and brutal temperature without realizing. Bobo got to pray that the trip isn't going to be as cold as where we are now. Finally, Galf emerged from his shop with a box of items, possibly for our expedition.

"Alright everyone! I had done extra research on the Catacombs," Galf announced, dropping the box in front of his heavy boots, "The Catacombs is going to be a slightly wet and slimy place, so I want you all to wear heavy boots,"

He digs into the container before pulling out three pairs of brown heavy boots. One by one, we took one pair before shoving it over our current footwear. The boots had fur inside it like if someone shoved an animal into it, but it has such a nasty odor. He then grabbed out three grappling hooks, each with strong ropes.

"I also want you three to take these as well, it helps you to escape some traps you might find at the Catacombs!" Galf said, putting a single heavy grappling hook into my arms.

As I carefully slide the launcher into my bag, I heard a gunshot like noise. Fearing that it was the rebel's arrival, I spun around. Thankfully, it was only Bobo testing out the grappling hook.

"I like this thing!" He smiled, reeling the rope back into the launcher.

Seriously, he needs to stop scaring me like that.

Galf picked up the lid of the container before covering the opening of the large container. He then looked up to us three.

"Just in case if you get into danger," he continued, "I want you all to be carrying weapons,"

"For what? Slaughtering thin air?" I sarcastically commented again.

"There are parasitic and violent creatures in that dimension as well," Galf said, ignoring my remark, "it isn't fully confirmed to be true yet, but I still want you to carry something you can protect yourself just in case,"

To this point, I'm starting to feel like Galf is being overprotective of us, acting like a mum to a 15-year-old nextbot, a college student and a retired military solider. Galf then pulls out a bat from another container and gave it to Bobo.

"Since I don't really want you to be running around with sharp weapons, I made you your personal combat baseball bat," Galf said as Bobo stretched his arms for his handmade weapon.

The bat was slightly small but has a sturdy texture. I assumed that Galf painted the handle of the bat bright blue to attract Bobo's attention. Of course, it worked, Bobo swung it around a few times, swatting the cold thin air with joy.

Defect pulled out one of his pistols. It was huge with its barrel blanketed by a silencer.

"I can just use my pistol," Defect stated, "I've put on a silencer to make sure it doesn't attract any more creatures or burst your eardrums,"

From past experience of escaping the Elysium artillery guards and a close escape of the rebels, Bobo would probably need warned the most about the sound of the loud gunshot.

"Great!" Galf noted, respecting Defect's choices before turning to me, "Jard, do you want me to get you a knife?"

"It's fine," I quickly said, "I got my weapon right here,"

I pulled out the massive red glowing sword out of my backpack. Sometimes it confuses me why someone would paint it green in the first place, it looks fine even with its true colors. Galf nodded, approving my weapon for the expedition.

"Alright! Let me open the portal for you all!"

It was ready, the energy around the portal lightens the dark as we crawled into the mysterious dimension. Galf gave us a friendly wave and a good luck before the portal completely closes, leaving us into this newborn dimension.

"Eww, what is this stuff?!" Bobo squealed in disgust, lifting his foot up from the sticky green surface.

Checking that Bobo wasn't making stuff up, I lifted my foot from the ground. Sticky goo stuck to the sole of my boots as it glowed with neon green. The smell of the substance doesn't help either as I could feel myself hurling up last night's dinners. Even Defect felt a bit nauseous by the smell.

"Well, we should hurry up and explore this place," Defect reminded as he walked off into one direction, "it is better if we split up and track somethings down, so that the process of collecting data would be much faster,"

"Defect, you monster! You couldn't just leave Bobo alone!" I argued, "he's only 15!"

"Don't worry, Jard! I will be okay!" Bobo happily answered before taking a route towards his right.

All of the sudden, the floor below Bobo opened up. An opened maw spread out as it's gooey sharp teeth. Some neon lime saliva stuck from the top jaw to the bottom as Bobo's body accelerated deeper into the opened mouth.

"NOO! BOBO!" I yelled, immediately running towards the mouth.

The grappling hook, it must have been in my backpack waiting for its time to shine. This might not work, but it is worth a shot. I aimed the hook at the fleshy hole as I fired approximately where Bobo fell. There was silence between me and Defect. He looked at me with despair, knowing that he was the one who put Bobo in danger. Just as soon as I thought all hope was lost, there was a sudden tug on my grappling hook.

"Reel it back up! I got it!" Bobo voice echoed through the opened maw.

There go my tears, the tears of joy, knowing that Bobo would be safe after all. Defect's mood lightened to hear Bobo's words as I reeled him out like a fish in a lake. When Bobo landed both of his feet back onto the sticky surface, I lunged in for a hug. I never thought I would be this thankful to see him safe. Defect fiddled with his hair and seemed to be finding words for an apology.

"Bobo, I'm sorry that I lead you into danger," Defect said, feeling ashamed, "you can follow me around and we could get some data together,"

"Awww, that's sweet of you, Defect!" Bobo answered, accepting the deal.

Defect then looked at me.

"Jard, are you okay to go alone?"

"Of course, I am!" I answered brightly, putting the grappling hook back into my bag before preparing to set off another route, "I have a radar in my bag, I will contact you guys whenever I find something interesting!"

"Alright then, keep yourself safe!"

With that, both Bobo and Defect left, it was only me and in this dimension of disgusting flesh. I nodded at the flesh like wall before walking the other direction, collecting some other data on my own.