Chapter 6 - "I'll Make Sure He Doesn't Find You."

Hobie wasted no time and dashed in the direction Y/n had vanished, his heart pounding with the trust he placed in her instincts. He knew that betraying Miguel was the last thing he wanted to do, and he understood that if Y/n believed there were survivors in need, he needed to be there by her side. As he jogged through the city's labyrinthine streets, he made sure to glance down every dimly lit alleyway he passed.

Then, at last, Hobie rounded a corner and caught sight of Y/n, crouched behind a car a short distance ahead.

Hobie approached her carefully, trying not to draw attention to their presence by quieting his footsteps and slowing down.

"Y/n, what's happening? Why did you run off?" Hobie inquired, concern etched across his features.

Y/n's eyes reflected a blend of worry, astonishment, and determination as she looked up at him. "There's no way I can just turn my back on those people."

Hobie tried to reassure her, "Well, we haven't seen any people, let alone zombies, since we got here.

Y/n frowned, glancing around the deserted streets. "It's strange, I could have sworn I saw movement and heard something earlier. Maybe I am hallucinating."

Hobie placed his hand carefully on her shoulder, understanding the weight of the situation. "It's okay. We'll stay vigilant and keep looking out for any signs of survivors. But let's also be cautious. We don't know what we're dealing with in this universe."

She nodded, grateful for Hobie's support. "You're right."

As they continued their search, they encountered more eerie emptiness and silence. It was as if the city had been frozen in time, and the lack of life only added to the haunting atmosphere.

Eventually, they found a building with a flickering light on the upper floor. Y/n and Hobie exchanged glances, and without words, they knew they needed to investigate, even if it was an electrical issue they knew they had to check just to be safe.

Their watches went off letting out a video message with a hologram of Miguel appearing on both of their wrists, "I can see you have found her Hobie. Get her to Times Square or I will have to collect you both myself."

Y/n grabbed Hobie's wrist pulling it towards herself and spoke assertively into it, "Come collect me yourself. By the time you manage to reach our location, I won't be here." She took off her watch and clicked it onto Hobie's spare hand careful not to interfere with his web shooters. He looked at her soft hands glided across his wrists clasping the watch in place so carefully. He looked at her as her gaze softened from when she sent the message to her giving himself the watch.

"I need you to swing around and make sure he doesn't have one particular spot to find me. Please do keep an eye in case I may need a hand." She asked looking into the eyes of his mask as if she were able to see through his mask to his eyes.

He was enraptured by her gaze and as if he were in a form of hypnosis he couldn't say no to her.

Hobie nodded, his mind solely focused on Y/n's request. He was willing to do whatever it took to keep her safe, even if it meant blatantly challenging Miguel.

"I'll make sure he doesn't find you," he assured her, his voice steady. "And if you need me, I'll be there."

With that, Y/n gave him a small smile, appreciating his unwavering support. "Thank you, Hobie. I appreciate this."

He couldn't help but feel a rush of warmth at her words, his heart beating faster beneath the mask. "Always."

As Y/n slipped away into the shadows Hobie swung through the city, keeping an eye out for any sign of Miguel. He had to make sure Miguel didn't catch on to Y/n's plan, and that meant leading him on a wild goose chase. Hobie manoeuvred gracefully through the city, his web-slinging skills put to good use as he zipped from building to building, only to feel something hurdle towards him. Thankfully he managed to dodge it only to get a glimpse of it noticing that it looked oddly similar to his web fluid.