Chapter 4: Burn the Bridge

Start from the beginning

"O-of course my lady, thank you so much," Eleanor said while bowing at a ninety-degree angle.

"Well then, let's write up the contract"

---

"Sir, Lady Ivanna has awakened,"

"Is that so...I told you not to bother me with any news about that child, didn't I?" the Duke responded.

"Yes but...something seems off sir"

"Her behavior...seems unusual"

"How different could she be? 

"People don't change so easily" the Duke chuckled.

"I'm sure she's just as wicked and egotistical as she always has been"

"Your job is simply to act as my shadow, reporting any suspicious behaviors and completing the missions I give you"

"However, what that child does is not of my concern, do I make myself clear?"

"Yes sir" the shadow responded.

"Send word to the head butler, we'll be having a family dinner tonight. Make sure everyone attends"

"Yes sir" the shadow replied before disappearing in the blink of an eye.

---

"Okay, now that we've settled that matter, I think it's time I assess my current situation before putting any plans into motion," I said as I scratched my head.

Right now the only people I have on my side are Eleanor and Anne but I'll need to gather more people If I'm going to survive in this cutthroat world.

I believe I'm at the point in the tv show where Ivanna was...poisoned? 

I think I remember most of what happened but then again I'm sure they breezed over most of the important details from the novel.

From what I remember, Ivanna was obsessed with the second prince. 

So much so that she began getting in the way of his plans to get his attention. 

After that, she was poisoned and ended up dying while the second prince blamed all his misdeeds on Ivanna.

Even her own family had abandoned her...I guess I can relate.

Okay, so should I start by breaking off the engagement to the second prince? It won't be easy since Ivanna practically begged her father to get the Emperor to agree.

"So Eleanor, I was unconscious for a year, right?"

"Yes, my lady, in fact, I think it's been a little over a year now"

I'll need to be careful  this time before I actually end up dead for real.

KNOCK KNOCK

"Lady Ivanna?" a man asked on the other side of the door.

"Yes, come in" I casually replied.

The head butler slowly opened the door before approaching me as I remained seated on the edge of my bed.

"The Duke has arranged a family dinner, please come to the dining hall when you're ready my lady," the butler said before bowing.

"Okay, I'll be there," I said.

As the head butler turned around to leave the room,

"Ah, what was your name again?"

I don't think they mentioned his name in the tv show, and I definitely didn't make it up to this point in the novel.