32 ~ second chances

He awoke before dawn. Usually, something else would wake him up, be it the first rise of the sun, a loud noise, or one of his friends. But now, there was nothing.

There was absolute silence.

With sleep no longer a viable option, he got up and left his room, trekking through the dark hallways until he reached the courtyard which overlooked the sea. It was dark, matching the sky, and barely any stars reflected upon it. He wondered why he woke up. Was there a reason? He doubted it. Perhaps a dream was to blame for it, but even if it was the culprit, he couldn't remember anything. A pity, he thought, to wake up so early. 

He loved sleeping, ever since he was a child, but naps were the worst thing. No matter how long the nap was, he'd awake feeling more tired. He hated it, how weak it made him feel. His mother nagged at him about it, but his father was the opposite. He...was the same when it came to naps. The mighty general would behave like a wet cat after napping. His hair would get all tangled, pillow marks would mar his skin, and it would take him way too long to recover.

Yet, when Guren napped together with him, he'd feel more rested than ever before. His warmth was all he needed during winter. Guren would tuck his hands into his robes and cover himself with them—he didn't need a blanket if he had his father. That was all he needed, wasn't it? Back then, the worst thing that happened to him was having to move away, and like a spoiled child he held his father responsible for things which were out of his control. 

He took it for granted. All the warmth and love. Now he had neither, and he had to sleep alone. 

A harsh exhale left him and he crossed the courtyard, down the stone stairs and onto the beach below. The sand was rough beneath his feet, his shoes long since discarded, and as he neared the water, the coldness worsened. The wind blew and stray drops splattered across his skin, making him shudder. Still, he continued onward, feet slipping into the midnight sea. Soon his knees followed, water rising to his hips. He dipped his fingers in, a bone-rattling shiver tearing through him.

It would be-

"Guren!" 

He stopped, turning to look.

Zuko raced down the stairs, looking close to tripping over his own feet at the pace he went. A few moments later, he was at the bottom, the sand slowing his movement as he approached Guren.

"What are you doing?" 

Guren dipped his fingers in the water. "Going for a swim?"

"Fully clothed?"

Guren glanced at him, "It's summer, Zuko, my clothes will dry."

"It's cold." 

Furrowing his brows, he replied- "What are you implying?" 

Zuko didn't answer.

Then, it dawned on Guren. Did Zuko think he was going to drown himself? What kind of thought was that? Sure, Guren had his issues, but suicide? Really?

So he laughed, turning in the water to fully face the perplexed boy. "Seriously? I can't believe you thought I was going to kill myself!" He bent over, hands coming to clutch at his stomach. His shoulders shook, lungs constricting each time he inhaled the cold air. Then, he reached his hands into the water and splashed Zuko, watching as his expression shifted into surprise. "Idiot!" 

Again, he laughed.

Zuko was silent, staring at him wide-eyed, water dripping down his face.

Guren's laughter died out, but the smile stayed. "What? What is it?"