See you once more

Azriel winnowed in the guest room at the Archeron manor like they had planned. All the servants had to be away by then. Sighing, he ran a hand though his hair. It was late and he was exhausted, not that he would ever willingly admit it to anyone. Rhys needed him capable and strong, not useless as he seemed to be at the moment. He couldn't remember the last time he got a good night sleep. Oh, how he craved one. There was no time for resting, he reminded himself as he begun descending the stairs. He hid his shadows from view as to not scare the mortal women.

The Shadowsinger heard her this time. He made himself hear her. Her steps where lighter, lighter than most people's as she walked behind him. He didn't move, didn't turn around, gave no sign he knew she was there.

'Hello, Spymaster.' Her voice was soft, but strong. A demand in it that made him finally turn around.

The woman he had met at dinner was back. Her red hair was let free, creating waves on her back. She wore a black night gown and over it a silk robe. He respectfully tried to stop his eyes from roaming over her body. The way she was watching him, leaning on the wall, arms crossed. She was waiting for his answer, his words, see if he was gonna take the bait. Spymaster, she had called him and yet he had never told her his position once. His eyes met hers, a challenge. In front of him wasn't the noble wife he had met, but the woman at dinner telling Cassian off. A wild storm forming in her gaze.

'Hello, Mrs. Castellan.' He bit back, nodding his head in greeting.

A playful smile made its way onto her face. She didn't move from her place leaning on the wall.

'Spymaster? Is that so?' He questioned.

Rayna watched him step closer, the way his wings moved with him, a painful reminder he was anything but human, how dangerous he truly was.

'Well, all moody and mysterious, sitting alone in the dark and talking little. Also the way you asked your questions at dinner might have given you away, subtle, but not subtle enough.' She straightened her back, keeping her tone firm but friendly.

Azriel titled his head to the side, a curious look. Quite observing she was. The same way he noticed she had been when he had followed her to the sea port. Maybe if she was fae he would have trained her as a spy, though with that wildness behind her eyes she would have made a better general. His eyes fell on the book in her hands, when she moved her arms.

'That novel is written by a fae.' He didn't think before speaking, too surprised.

Rayna looked at the book in her hands. The cover was worn and some pages folded in the corners. She scrunched her nose.

'Oh, then I must throw it in the fire.' She put a hand over her chest as if it truly pained her. 'Such a shame it was one of my favorites, really-'

She stopped to stare at Azriel, who threw his head back and laughed, fully, without restraint. She couldn't help but stare. Hadn't realized such a melodious beautiful sound could be made by someone like him. She found herself wanting to hear it again.

'I am sure Chaol would agree with you, might want to throw some iron in the there.' His tone was playful, much more casual than before as he spoke.

Rayna looked surprised at the mention of one of the characters in the book who happened to hate the novel's version of fae.

'My, my, didn't picture you as a romantic, Spymaster.' She teased.

He raised a brow.

'It's a murder mystery.' He stated.

Rayna pointed to the book.

'A romantic murder mystery.' She contradicted him.

He huffed arms crossed over his chest, his leathers doing nothing to hide his muscles.