No complex mechanisms, no folds, just a shield with a buckle to attach it to the arm?

"Simple, right?"

Embarrassed, I took a step back.

Was my disappointment that obvious? The first person who talks to me at Beacon, and I've already been rude to him?

"No... it's just that..." I need an excuse. "I just find this combination of shield, pistol, and knife unique." Ha! I did well.

He smiles at me, but I turn my face to the side, feeling embarrassed.

"This shield may not look like much, but it's practically indestructible."

I froze for a second, did I hear that right?

"You said indestructible?" "Yes," replied the blond boy with a proud smile on his face.

"Impossible!" I exclaimed, disbelieving.

"100% true."

"But what if someone shoots it with anti-tank ammunition?"

"Nothing will happen."

"A shot from an anti-aircraft battery?"

"Maybe it'll scratch the paint."

"And Dust effects like fire, ice, and electricity."

"At most, it'll get dirty."

I lean over the shield, tapping it with my fist, trying to guess its material.

"Please, tell me what it's made of."

"Okay, girl, I'll tell you later, just stop drooling over it, please."

Drooling? Oh my, he's right, I've been drooling over it. Jumping back, I try to apologize again, but Jaune says it's no big deal.

"It's alright, Ruby, I know you didn't mean any harm." Despite me acting weird, he didn't seem bothered. "But I want to know where we are."

Huh?

Looking around, I notice that we've been wandering aimlessly and ended up near a garden with an artificial lake.

"I was following you."

Jaune stares at me, raising an eyebrow.

"Don't judge me."

"I don't judge anyone." Phew. "Out loud." Darn it.

He laughs, shaking his head.

"Follow me, everything's fine, crater face."

"Okay." Wait! "Did you just call me what?"

Professor Ozpin.

"It's truly intriguing how the start of the Beacon school year still manages to fill me with hope," I thought aloud.

After my speech, Professor Goodwitch and I met in the elevator that provides access to my office.

"In what sense, Professor?" my vice asked.

"After 80 years of training Remnant's protectors, any normal person would assume a certain degree of apathy would be present."

I replied, sighing, to Professor Goodwitch.

"But no, every passing year I still have hope in the new generation, especially this year with a silver-eyed warrior among the freshmen, perhaps the last one on the planet."

With an arched eyebrow, the professor questioned me.

"You have great faith in this young woman because she's Summer's daughter?"