It also didn't particularly even matter to me that I was taking orders from somebody honestly. Personally, I didn't have the desire to be running anything or to be responsible for anybody.

The only person I cared about was myself, and even then sometimes that shit was a chore.

"we gotta make a stop down the road at that Marlon niggas crib—by the way, bossman called me when you was inna' sto'." He added.

I looked over at him and raised an eyebrow in question.

"He heard that Marlon's been plotting against him, something about trying to turn some of the guys against him and start up his own lil shit." Jermaine explained.

My expression stayed the same as I took another swig of my liqour, but internally I was shaking my head. I knew for a fact that was a lie—or at least that it was missing a good portion of the truth.

I didn't know Marlon personally, I mean I've been around him just because I've had to do business with him before, but beyond that there was no relation.

Still though, I knew he wasn't that type of person, he was about as loyal as it gets. I mean they all really were, everyone that worked under the boss was dedicated to this shit.

I was in it solely for the money, the bonds and relationship ties meant nothing to me, I just never cared to express that. I guess in a sense I was dedicated to it too, difference was—I wasn't dedicated to a boss, I was dedicated to the bread.

It was fast and easy money, the other shit didn't matter. If he wanted Marlon gone then he was gone.

It wasn't like I could get many other jobs out here. I'm twenty four with a felony on my record and no real skills outside of hurting people.

No passion, no dreams, I just take it day by day—the money was what kept me going.

As Jermaine continued talking I nodded at his words and continued staring at the road ahead.

"On so real shit bro, between you and me, and I'm in no way questioning bossman—I just can't believe Marlon would do something like that to him," Jermaine added.

"They were like brothers, this shit kinda crazy." He added, "watchu think?"

I only shrugged in response, I don't care about that nigga.

Yeah I also didn't believe it but what does this shit have to do with me?

"course." Jermaine responded.

Thankfully he chose silence for the rest of the ride.

When we arrived, he pulled up to the curb, and after parking he looked over at me as he spoke, "you need my help?"

I cut my eyes at him and stepped out of the vehicle.

That reaction was purely because I found that question to be more insulting than anything. When have I ever needed help, let alone asked for it. He was playing with my intelligence.

The way I see it, asking for help is admitting weakness, and if people realize you have a weakness—the moment that they don't like you, they're gonna capitalize on that weakness.

That's just the way life goes.

After making sure the pistol in my waistband was loaded, I went ahead and walked up to Marlons crib.

It was normal for me to see people immediately pour into their houses as they spotted me exiting the truck. Scrambling around clumsily as they all tried to avoid looking in my direction despite both of us knowing they saw me.