CHAPTER 1 - READY TO RUN

Start from the beginning

I was a fool to believe for a second that a guy like him—the most evil of all—was actually capable of caring. Let alone show affection. Yes, he was such a charmer for girls that he could actually make them fall over by just staring at them. However, how come I believed I was special when I should have known better. I was supposed to be smart, but I was blinded by all of those affections.

I should have taken a step back and realized that I was being fooled. I should have seen the warning signs, but instead I let myself believe that a guy like him—good looking, charismatic, athletic, and smart—would actually want a plain girl like me. Who had never had a relationship before, only had guys in books. I was naive and should not have trusted him.

I didn't see any of these because when I'm with him, I feel pretty and confident. A lot of people said that I was glowing, probably because I was happy, very happy. But after learning about that childish bet, my confidence was completely drained.

He crushed me.

My will to fight him back left me because my emotions got into me. From then on, I hated him. I hated him more when he distanced himself away from me, and for treating me as if I didn't exist.

The good thing about it was, it was his last year, and since he finally graduated, he would be far, far away. I thought after he left, it would be different; I thought it would be better this time but it didn't. Because no matter how much I tried to forget about him and the things we shared, it won't go away.

Everywhere, every corner, even my safe haven—the library—all I see is him. His face, his smile, his laugh, our constant bickering. It was all too much.

I tried my best to focus on my studies and keep my eyes on my goal--the university of my dream. To start college. Because I know college would be better and a great place to start anew.

So graduating from that school was such a relief for me. It was as if I finally freed myself from his cage and I'm now ready to move on to my new life. Away from him. Away from his memories. Away from that emotional torture.

"Are you ready, college girl?" That voice literally surprised me and pulled me out of my train of thoughts.

"Dad, you startled me!" I said as I touched my heart, trying to steady it.

"Nervous about college, pumpkin?" My dad asked. He was smiling from ear-to-ear. The fact that I did well at this Ivy League university was especially impressive. It was obvious that he was proud of me, of what I had achieved.

"Not really." I said, returning his smile. "I'm more nervous about leaving you behind." I tried my best not to cry when I told him this. I wouldn't want my dad's smile replaced with a sad one.

"I'll be fine." He made his way towards me and hugged me tightly. "Oh, our pumpkin is a grown girl now. Exploring the big world. Your mum would be proud." With that, I couldn't hold back the tears anymore and they spilled freely. "Don't cry. You'll do great." His words soothed me.

"I'm gonna miss you, Dad." I said in full honesty. "Take care."

"You too. I'm gonna miss you too, Ems."

It took a couple of minutes before my dad let me go and drove me off to university.

Damn, I was such an emotional girl.

* * * * * *

After three hours of travelling, we are finally here. Stepping out of my dad's car, I immediately closed my eyes and smelled the college breeze.

This is really happening!

I opened my eyes and felt a wave of excitement wash over me. I was finally here - ready to start my college journey. I couldn't wait to explore the campus, meet new people, and begin my classes.

Oh where do I even start?

I almost felt guilty for forgetting my dad because of my excitement!

Turning around, I prepared myself to say goodbye to him. He was teary-eyed but put on a brave face. He gave me a hug and said, "I'm really proud of you." Just as I was about to cry, he added, "Feel free to do whatever you want as long as the Dean doesn't call me." His joke made me laugh instead of crying.

He patted my back and smiled. I hugged him again, thanked him for his support, and said my final goodbye. I took a deep breath and turned away, not looking back.

This is it, Emma

You're ready to run.

-END OF CHAPTER 1-

A/N: I will still use 1D's songs for chapter inspirations. This is the edited version, there are changes in the scenes and dialogues that is somehow different from the first edition. I hope you will like this version, too! I love 1D so much and this brings back memories from my directioner era.