Boxes And Color-Coordinated Ribbons

Tapping her fingers on her chin, Niki surveyed the trays of sweets on the counter before her. She and Jack were closing up shop from the festival, and she still needed to pick something out for Tommy's birthday from the leftovers before she called it a night. The only problem was she couldn't decide what flavor to give him. Tommy had never mentioned he had a favorite or a preference since he always seemed to love anything she gave him- but this is a birthday. She needed to pick something that he'd love.

"Jack?" She called behind her into the kitchen.

It took a moment, but he poked his head out of the kitchen. "Yeah?"

She gestured to the sweets in front of her. "Any idea which flavor I should give Tommy tomorrow? He's never had a preference as far as he's told me, but I wanna pick something he'll love."

"Hm.." Jack stepped up to stand beside her, scanning what they had left. "Well, we know he likes chocolate. Why not just give him some of those?" He gestured to the chocolate cupcakes.

"But he also liked the red velvet I gave him last year for the Winter Solstice.." She bit her lip. "And he really likes my cookies too, and we have a couple chocolate chip ones left.."

Jack snorted and elbowed her. "Niki, you're thinking about it too much. This is Tommy we're talking about. He'll love whatever you give him."

She huffed and pushed her blonde streaks behind her ear. "I know; but I don't want to give him something he won't like." She bit her lip. "He's turning 15. He deserves to have something nice."

Just then, the bell to the bakery went off as someone opened the door. The two of them looked over as a man stepped inside. He was nearly as tall as the doorframe, and had to duck when he stepped inside. He had a clean, white poet's shirt tucked into plain black pants and brown curls almost hiding a gorgeous emerald earring. He looked..Startlingly familiar for some reason.

The man smiled sheepishly, lingering in the doorway with one hand still on the handle. "Are you guys still open?"

Niki blinked, shaking herself out of her surprise and nodded. "We are! Don't worry. Come in, come in." She waved him forward, shifting some of the trays to the side. Jack took some of them to clear up space, taking them into the kitchen. "Is there something specific I can help you find?"

"Sort of." He pushed his curls away from his eyes and adjusted wire-framed glasses on his nose. Then he glanced her over for a second before meeting her eyes. "You're Niki, right?"

She blinked. "Uh- Yeah, I am! Why do you ask?"

The man grinned. "Well, my friend Tommy told me he knows you."

"Oh! You know Tommy?:

"I do!"

"That's so funny!" She laughed a bit. "Small world. I'm glad he has another friend! He's very sweet."

"He really is.." The man said quietly, a soft look overtaking his face. Then he cleared his throat "Um, anyways- my name's Wilbur. And, I was hoping to place an order to pick up tomorrow afternoon?"

"I can definitely do that!" She pulled out a pen and paper, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "What's the order for?"

"A birthday cake." Wilbur smiled, sticking his hands in his pockets. "For Tommy."

Niki blinked, surprised. "You- Want to order him a birthday cake?"

He nodded. "Yeah. I that- Uh, is that possible on such short notice? I'm not a baker, so I'm not sure how long it takes."