I look at the blonde woman, dressed in a casual outfit, holding a warm smile on her face. I don't quite recognize this woman, but her mentioning of our names makes me realize that she must know us. My eyes tighten slightly as I try to recall if we have any previous encounters. She might be a family friend or a neighbor, maybe my mom's workmate or a distant relative. My head races with different possibilities but m mind draws a blank.

My worries pique up, and I was about to ask who she s when she speaks up, "You must've not recognize me since we've never formally met, but I'm your father's fiancéé."

Oh wow, that was unexpected.

My father having a new wife wasn't on my bucket list of expectations for this year.

She smiles, showing her left hand where a familiar diamond ring sparkles on her finger. It's my grandmother's ring, the one that has been passed down through generations. I remember Mom throwing it at my father once they got divorced, I can't believe it survived the tumultuous situation and found its way into the hand of the woman standing before us.

"Hey Eloise, can you go change these elbow noodles, please?" I grab the package from the shopping cart and hand it to Eloise, trying to keep composed deep inside.

"You don't need it?" I nod in response, "With what should I replace them?"

"Just anything else," I say, keeping y eyes on the woman. Eloise changes glares between me and the woman, sensing the tension in the air. She then changes directions and leaves for the previous aisle, letting me deal with the conversation at hand. Inhaling deeply, I gather my composure and turn to the lady.

"By the way, my name is Mary," she extends her hand for a handshake, I accept it politely with a small smile. "So, you two are engaged?" My question seems to make her glad, her smile growing a bit. "Yeah, we are. We wanted the news with you early but you seemed to be busy with your work."

I recall my father's call a couple of weeks ago, remembering his dinner invitation. So I was meeting a fiancéé, not a girlfriend. Wow, Dad, you improved. Let's if this one lasts a bit longer than the previous ones.

"But since you seem to be finally here," she continues, "our dinner can finally happen. We can get to know each other better," she seems hyped up and excited by the idea of bonding with us. I feel sad for her, knowing how it goes with my father.

He gets to know a woman.

He dates her.

He eventually loses interest and moves to the next one.

Women for him are life chapters in a book, fastly discarded once he finished reading. But he leaves something behind, a trail of broken hearts and grief. Some of them, like Mary, hold on to the hope that they'll be different and that their past relationship of his were unsuccessful because the women weren't the right fit for him, they weren't right.

I wish that they knew he was the problem and not them.

"So," she interrupts my thoughts, smiling widely at me, "what do you say?" I try to smile the same smile that I can master. "I appreciate your offer, Mary, it's very nice of you," I respond, "However, I must appologize, I can't attend the dinner since I'll be leaving for work again tomorrow and won't be back for a while."

My lie brings a tinge of disappointment to Mary's expression, but she nods understandably. I grab her hand in mine and smile at her, "But I'm happy to meet you, I hope you find the happiness and fulfillment you deserve in a better relationship."

She holds a confused expression at my statement, unsure of what to say. Luckily, Eloise is back from the other side of the store, a bag in her hand. "Spaghetti works?" She holds the pack up and I nod at her in response. She puts it in the cart and turns to start a conversation with Mary, but I interrupt by saying, "Have a good day, maam."