One

Maddie sat nervously as she wait patiently inside the office of the Executive Assistant to Apollo Wexner, of Wexner Group and Investors Corp., her hands are starting to sweaty from holding her pen and notebook incase Deborah wants her to jot some notes. But it took time when, "Madison, I'm sorry to keep you waiting" Deborah went inside her office restlessly. "Is everything all right?" Maddie asked her boss as Deborah took her seat at her desk. "Well, everything's alright, I hope so..." Deborah trailed off as if Maddie didn't heard the last words that made her curious about what her boss meant. "Actually, I have called you because you will no longer take the receptionist duty for now" Deborah started, Maddie got surprised by what her boss said, "am I fired?" Maddie's voice cracked. "No, I mean I didn't mean that you no longer work here, you see..." Deborah stood and went to her cabinet and took a portfolio and scanned on something. Maddie was left thinking what did she have done wrong, it's just been five weeks since Maddie started working as an intern in Wexner Group and Invertors Corp. and it was all she ever wanted, but now having this rare conversation with her boss inside the room no employee wanted to stay for even at least a minute left her something to think about.

"I 've been very pleased with your work ethics these past few weeks and thinking you are just an intern you we're able to adjust automatically with the routine in this company" Deborah began as she went back to seat across Maddie. Maddie was able to breath in relief, and tried to hide her smile from what she had heard from her boss. Deborah is not that kind of person-or boss-who is appreciative when it comes to her subordinate, yet Maddie tries to work hard just as she's always done.

"And so is Mr. Wexner," Deborah added still not looking at Maddie.

Maddie maintained to compose herself even though deep inside her she's already jumping with joy, she have never expected that Mr. Wexner would give regard to his employees performance, Maddie knew he didn't even have a clue that she existed. But sometime in her life as a receptionist and being the wingman to Deborah, she was certain she had a memory of Mr. Wexner nodded, it was a simple acknowledgement as she stepped inside the elevator and Maddie greeted him while he was pinned on the market magazine and continued to do so as he entered his office, which is the penthouse floor of this twenty six floored tower.

"As you know, I'll be in a vacation next week" hesitance sounded on her words when she continued.

Maddie nodded then halfway she thought of opening her notebook expecting for any notes from her boss, but Deborah shook her head so Maddie closed her notebook.

"Not yet," Deborah sighed, "it's a hard decision for me to make, Mr. Wexner is in an agreement deal with a proprietor tycoon in UAE, it'll be an awkward time for me to leave..." she trailed off as she took her breath then went on, "my husband booked this cruise a year ago" she smiled as she tucked some golden brown strand to her ear.

Maddie, went mentally conscious about her big red curls compared to Deborah's sleek blond bob, how she wished she had those perfectly professional tamed hair.

"Actually, it's no big deal but it's our twenty fifth wedding anniversary" Deborah confided.

"Wow! Congratulations!" Maddie replied automatically clapping her hands, as she notice how embarrassing her gesture was. Maddie couldn't believe Deborah was even discussing such personal subject with her.

Knowing Deborah, she was rarely referred to even have one. Rumor around the company that she was not given a chance to have one, Mr. Wexner couldn't work without her, and Maddie could believe it. No matter how early Maddie arrives or how late she works, Deborah stayed longer and so is her boss, Mr. Apollo Wexner.