Chapter Thirty: Uncertainty

Hanji only held me tighter in their arms contrary to Dina's words, carefully tucking my head under their chin, not wanting me to see the scene that lay ahead of us. My heart was beating wildly in my chest, anxiety and fear creeping in at a steady rate, knowing full well that Hanji was in immediate danger because of me.

"Not a chance," I heard Hanji mutter under their breath, while I could only feel a surge of panic at Dina's threat.

"I'm not going to repeat myself a third time, detective," Dina added in contempt as I heard her take a few steps in our direction, "let go of my sister, and nobody gets hurt."

Hanji's tone didn't waver at all, not even in the slightest, as they responded evenly, "We have you surrounded. It would be best for you to put your weapon down and surrender immediately." Hanji stayed still as they kept me tucked close to them, not wanting me to see the situation unfolding ahead. Their gaze was hard and determined, and they kept a firm grip on my body.

The aggressive tension between Hanji and Dina was extremely palpable, with both of them refusing to back down from the confrontation.

"Hanji, please don't do anything rash. I don't know what I'll do if you get hurt...I can't lose you," I begged Hanji, my heart pounding dangerously at the prospect of them getting hurt, especially on my account.

When I attempted to turn to catch a glimpse of the situation, I found just how hard of a grip Hanji had on me - their right arm was wrapped firmly around my waist while their left hand was securely placed at the back of my head.

"You won't ever lose me, darling. You don't have to worry about a thing, alright? We'll handle it," was all Hanji said in response as I felt their fingers caress my hair, wanting to give me comfort.

"All I want is to have my sister back," Dina told them as her voice shook in the slightest, her grip on her pistol wavering slightly.

While I wanted to try and help, I had to consider two things: one, that my physical condition wasn't exactly in good shape, especially after having just survived a fire and several traumatic events, and two, that I should leave this to Hanji and the others (a.k.a. the professionals), because I might just end up worsening an already highly-charged situation. After all, I'm pretty sure that Dina won't listen to me (or anyone) at this point - if she wanted to, she already would have even before we ended up in this predicament.

I tried once more to take a glance, only for my eyes to widen in shock and admiration as I chanced upon the other officers moving in a way only trained professionals could - they took advantage of the few seconds that Dina had her guard lowered, and I saw four officers quickly tackle Dina, with Levi swiftly disarming her while the others handcuffed her wrists in one motion.

The entire arrest approach, which took only a few seconds, was flawless and well-coordinated. And as I was finally able to see what was going on, I only felt more respect for everyone as I watched their quick work.

"It's over now," I heard Hanji whisper softly in my ear, yet they didn't loosen their hold on me. I felt them kiss the top of my head as they lovingly said with a sigh of relief, "You're finally safe now, my love."

I could still hear Dina screaming and struggling around us while the other officers detained everyone associated with the agency. Sirens could still be heard from both police cars and first responders, but all I could see and feel at the time was Hanji.

They were right - it was finally over.

_

Hanji was royally pissed - all they wanted was to be with [Y/N], who was currently at the hospital getting treatment for her injuries, yet Levi had forced them to stay and help deal with the aftermath of Dina's arrest. They were practically swamped with paperwork - all of them in their unit, especially since a high number of individuals were involved in their schemes. Moreover, they were responsible for the welfare of the victims: the children who were kidnapped, and the others, such as Eren, who have been forced to serve the agency. However, despite having a lot of tasks to complete, Hanji couldn't help but think of their wife.