𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑

Start from the beginning

I sigh and nod, acknowledging the fact that arguing with her is pointless. "Fine, I'll take you shopping," I concede, gesturing towards the door.

Suddenly, her expression switches. She goes from being a grumpy and tired princess to an upbeat and bright girl in just a matter of seconds. It's astonishing how fast her mood can change.

"Great! Are you ready? Let's go!"

She doesn't even give me the chance to respond before I'm suddenly pulled out of the room. I'm almost surprised by her strength, but I quickly stiffen myself, which makes it more difficult for her to just drag me along with her.

I quickly pulled my arm away from her and stood in place. "Not so fast," I assert, "you will follow my lead."

She looks at me like I'm a total idiot, which I do not like whatsoever, but then exasperatedly sighs. "Whatever, lead the way."

I nod and lead her through the castle, past the grand foyer, and up the winding staircase to the third floor. We stop in front of a large set of double doors, which are adorned with ornate carvings and gold-leaf accents. The princess grasps the handle and enters the room, while I linger behind, guarding the entrance.

She turns back to face me with one of her eyebrows raised in confusion. "You do know that we don't have clothing shops in the palace, right?"

I roll my eyes and enter the room. It's a huge walk-in closet. The tall shelving units are large and spacious, and they hold countless pieces of clothing and shoes. The room is organized and neatly arranged, with each item having a designated place. There are also numerous mirrors and vanity tables.

"You don't really expect me to let you go out like that, right?" I probe.

The princess looks down at her dress and then back up at me with a frown etched on her face. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

"Nothing," I reply. "You look breathtaking, but I'd rather not have the paparazzi recognize you."

Her eyes go back to their usual spark filled with mischief and joy, and she starts rushing to the clothes hanging in the closets. "So we're both going to go out in disguise?" she asks enthusiastically.

I quickly nodded in response. "Why else would I be so inclined?" I reason, trying to keep the derision out of my voice.

Elena beams, squealing, and I see her begin to sort through the hangers, picking out different disguises and outfits. I can tell she's having fun, and I can't help but relax a little in her presence. My guard drops just a tad, but then I quickly pull it back in line.

I can't get too comfortable around her.

As she continues to rifle through the items, I hold back a smile. For a girl who isn't even twenty years old, she's wise beyond her years—I would never admit that to her face, though. She has a calm demeanor and exudes confidence. A true princess and worthy queen indeed.

It's hard not to like her, no matter how much I try to push her away.

Princess Elena turns to me, holding up two pairs of black hoodies accompanied by baggy jeans. I'm surprised the palace even has outfits so informal. "What do you think?" she asks, her voice laced with excitement.