𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐

En başından başla

My eyes lit up. Finally, something to look forward to. "You're right. Let's go!" I grab ahold of Ava's hand, trying to run off to the bar.

Isabella stops us. "Wait. It's still early; don't you think we should dance and have some fun first before we start drinking like our lives depend on it?"

I take a moment to consider what she's saying, but I realize she's right. Isa's always right. Plus, I'd rather not drink now and then start puking later when I decide I want to dance.

"I guess you're right," I admit with a laugh.

The four of us go to the center of the ballroom floor, where everyone else is already dancing up a storm. The song playing is some kind of slow, melodic song. Perfect for dancing with someone. James takes my hand gently and starts to dance with me, the song making me feel like I'm floating. It's almost hypnotic.

The two of us dance for what feels like eternity, and before I know it, the slow song transitions into a faster one. I'm starting to get a little tired, but I don't mind. Isabella and Ava seem like they have endless energy. They keep dancing, smiling, and laughing. Their laughter is contagious.

Ava gasps and shakes me away from James. "Hot prince incoming."

I side-eye her and raise an eyebrow judgmentally. There is no way she just called Marco hot. He isn't ugly, but his personality makes him incredibly repulsive. What the hell do people see in him?

I glance in the direction Ava is looking, only to see Prince Marco. And of course, he's flirting with some poor girl. They both laugh together, and he has that usual cocky smirk on his face that I'd just love to rip off.

Deciding not to let thinking about him ruin my mood, I turn away from the disgusting sight and continue dancing with James. I'm not quite sure what to say to him, so I say nothing at all. Instead, we dance in silence, our bodies moving in sync with the music.

Out of nowhere, my mind flashes back to my conversation with Sofia this morning. I can't shake off that guilty feeling weighing heavily on my heart. I never meant to hurt her like that, but my emotions have been all over the place lately. I'm tired and drained, and Sofia was the only person I felt like I could depend on.

The look on the handmaid's face when I told her not to talk to me still haunts me. I can't help but wonder if I made a mistake by being so harsh with her. It's probably too late to take back what I said, but I can at least try to make things right with her.

Sofia is an important person in my life, even if she's been acting weird lately. She's someone who has been by my side ever since I was a child. She's seen me through the best and worst moments, always supporting me unconditionally.

I just wish she would pick me over my parents for once.

We dance in silence for a few more moments, but out of nowhere, James steps back. "You okay, El?" he inquires.

I snap out of my thoughts, only to feel a tear running down my cheek.

My makeup. Shit.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and I hate crying when I have makeup on—especially mascara. Even though the makeup I own is expensive, I prefer regular mascara over waterproof mascara. In other words, my mascara is probably dripping.