𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐

Start from the beginning

Sofia doesn't deserve this kind of treatment from me. She really doesn't. But I can't help but let my anger take control. I pull my hands away from hers, standing up from my bed.

"Just don't talk to me and get me ready," I mutter miserably.

˚ʚ ˚✧.

I look at myself in the bathroom mirror after I'm finished getting ready. Everything is perfect. My skin is glowing, and my makeup looks light and natural.

The dress I'm wearing is made of shimmery lilac silk. The bodice is fitted to my figure and accentuates my curves, and the skirt flows gracefully to the floor.

My hair is styled in elegant, sweeping curls, flowing down my back and shoulders in a soft waterfall. To top it all off, I'm wearing a diamond-encrusted tiara that matches my dress.

But all I see when I look in the mirror is a girl who is trapped within the walls of this castle. A scared little girl who can't stand up to her parents.

Don't cry. Don't cry.

I can't think like that on my birthday. I won't.

I inhaled a deep breath, finally walking out of the bathroom. My parents are throwing a ball for my birthday—per usual—although this one will be different since I'm finally becoming a legal adult.

When I walk out into the hallway, the first person I see is Alex. When he sees me, his jaw drops. The bodyguard tries to form words, but nothing coherent comes out of his mouth.

Finally, he speaks. "Happy birthday. Let's go," he says rather quickly, looking away.

Alex's hand finds its way onto my back, guiding me towards the staircase of the castle. I can only manage small and silent steps, keeping my gaze low to avoid eye contact with the servants passing by. As I walk down the stairs, I feel his hand tense up, the muscles along the top of his forearm contracting.

As soon as we enter the ballroom, I hear the cheers of the audience. There are loads of people, possibly thousands, and they're all clapping. I can't help but blush. I know I'm a princess, but I'm not really used to this many people shouting and applauding me. I've always been nervous around huge crowds, to begin with.

"Elena!" Isabella runs right up to me, hugging me. Ava and James aren't too far behind. "I can't believe you're 18! Happy birthday! You look so gorgeous!"

Alex takes this as his cue to leave, but he only steps back a few feet. He's obviously watching from a distance. Meanwhile, I wrap my arms around Isa and smile. "Thank you!"

James taps my shoulder to get my attention, and I spin around to face him. I hugged him as well. "Happy birthday, El," he whispers in my ear.

"Thanks, J." I wink at him playfully and then turn back around to look at Ava. She grins widely and opens her arms out for me.

"How's my favorite birthday girl?" she teases.

I laugh and wrap my arms around her, hugging her tightly. "I'm good, thank you."

Ava lets go of me rather quickly and steps back, giving me my personal space now. "You know, now that you're finally 18, you can legally drink. No more hiding."