CH.1

In the year 2138 AD there was a term: DMMO-RPG.

That word was an acronym for "Dive Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game". 

These games were played by connecting a dedicated console to the brain via a neuronal nano-interface — an intracerebral nanocomputer network, created from the fusion of cyber- and nanotechnology.

These were games that allowed one to enter a virtual world and experience it as though it were real life. And among the myriad DMMO-RPGs that thronged the market, one of them stood head and shoulders above the others:

YGGDRASIL.

This game had been painstakingly developed and released twelve years ago. Compared to other DMMO-RPGs of the time, YGGDRASIL's selling point was "player freedom".

It had over two thousand basic and advanced job classes.

Every class had a maximum of fifteen levels, and so in order to reach the overall level cap of one hundred, one would need to take at least seven classes. However, players could take as many classes as they wanted as long as they met each class's prerequisites. 

A player could even take a hundred classes at level one each, although that was very inefficient. As such, in this system, it was almost impossible to make identical characters unless one was deliberately trying to do so.

In addition, one could use various creator tools (sold separately) to fully customize one's armour, weaponry, flavour text, appearance, and other cosmetic settings.

A vast playing field awaited its players. There were nine worlds in total: Asgard, Alfheim, Vanaheim, Nidavellir, Midgard, Jotunheim, Niflheim, Helheim, and Muspelheim.

It boasted a massive world, numerous classes, and freely customizable appearances.

These features ignited the creative spirits of its Japanese players, and sparked what would later be known as a stylistic revolution. So popular was it that whenever the word "DMMO-RPG" was mentioned in Japan, listeners would immediately think of YGGDRASIL.

—Still, all these were things of the past now

♦ ♦ ♦

Momonga leaned against the back of the throne, and slowly raised his head to look at the ceiling. He sank into thought. Although the guild was just an empty shell, he had enjoyed his time with it.

He turned his eyes to look at the huge flags hanging from the ceiling. There were forty one of them in total, the same number as there were guild members. Each of them were displaying the personal symbol of each guild member.

Momonga extended a bony finger and pointed.

"Mine."

Then, he turned his attention to a nearby flag. That flag represented the strongest player in Ainz Ooal Gown -- no, in all of YGGDRASIL. He was the one who had started the guild, and the one who had gathered the "Original Nine".

"TouchMe."

The symbol on the next flag he pointed to belonged to the oldest member of Ainz Ooal Gown, who was a lecturer for a university in real life.

"Shijuuten Suzaku"

Momonga fluidly recited the names of the various symbols' owners. It did not take long for him to name all forty of his former comrades, as their names were still branded deeply into his brain. Then, he sprawled tiredly on his throne.

"It was fun."  Momonga said.  "In fact... it was a blast."

Even though the game did not have any subscription fees, Momonga had still spent a third of his monthly salary on it. It was not because his salary was high, but because he had no other hobbies, so he funnelled all his income into it.