✧23| why raising the dead is a bad idea

Start from the beginning

    She wants to do a lot of things.

    But things between them still haven't gone back to normal. He hasn't talked to her about his dad yet, and she hasn't had the guts to come out to him about what happened.

    So, she'll settle for this weird and awkward in-between feeling that's been around them the past month.

    Diana looks back out over the cemetery, her mind coming to a decision. She reaches up and squeezes Dean's arm twice before she walks away with a mumbled, "Be right back."

    She walks towards Sammy, giving him a soft smile as she passes by him to the headstone besides Mary's. As she passes, Sam smiles back. She can see the tears in his clear eyes.

    Diana settles into the grass in front of another headstone, this one located on Mary's right. It's a simple one; small, thin and a crumbling white from years of weather exposure.

JAYA RUSSO
1954 — 1980

    It's not much, but then again they had no money when this was made. Edward put the very last of his savings —even those meant for rent, food or school— into this headstone. He knew it would mean a lot for his wife to be buried next to her best friend, Mary, and even though Mary's body is not next to her, their spirits will be. Or, at least, that's what Edward always said.

    "Hi, mom," Diana whispers, the words feeling foreign on her lips. She takes a quick glance to Sammy who's sitting not so far away. She watches as he kisses his fingers and then touches the headstone before getting up and walking back to his brother. When she feels he's out of ear shot, Diana turns back to her mom's headstone and smiles nervously. "I don't know what to say, honestly. I... it's been a long year. I could uh—" she sniffs, trying to keep her tears at bay. "I could really use your help. Or anyone's help, at this point," she looks down, taking a moment to gather herself before she shakes herself out of it and smiles, tears in her eyes. "I love you, mom."

    Diana mimics what Sam had done earlier; she kisses the tops of her fingers and then touches the headstone before she gets up and walks over to the boys.

    Sam is standing a few feet from Dean, hands in his pocket as he watches Diana walk over. When she's close he gives her a comforting smile, "You okay?"

    She nods, "Yeah. This was a nice idea of you, Sammy."

    "I have those sometimes."

    "Key word; sometimes."

    The youngest Winchester scoffs and rolls his eyes just as Dean finishes up talking to a man in a suit and walks over to them. He holds up a card, "Angela Mason. She was a student at the local college, funeral was three days ago."

    "And?"

    Dean looks between his brother and his best friend, momentarily a little creeped out at how in sync they are. He goes on, "And? You guys saw her grave," he motions to it. "Everything dead around it, in a perfect circle? You don't think that's a little weird?"

     "Maybe the groundskeeper went a little agro with the pesticide." Sam shrugs, Diana besides him nodding in agreement. The three walk over to Baby, Diana in between the two brothers.