Chapter 6 - "Kim Dahyun"

Start from the beginning

"I thought you were guarding the forest? What made you rethink your words and come back?" the princess queried, her tone of voice clearly displeased.

Perhaps it was because of how cruel I had previously treated her.

"I was, until I found three knights looking for you in this forest," I said, awakening her curiosity.

"Knights? Those ought to have been the knights who were going to get me out of this forest!"

I couldn't help but bite my lower lip behind my mask. I can't let her leave, but I also can't see why I should keep the princess with me.

"The one who appeared to be their leader is just around the corner; you are welcome to see him if you wish."

Remember that, Sora. The princess is not your concern; she was never your worry in the first place.

You treated her like a prisoner. She simply deserved to be free to do as she pleased.

"Lead me in their direction," the princess said, but I shrugged.

"I can't let anybody see me like this; I don't want them to realize that the guardian or mythical creature they imagined was just a mere human," I said firmly.

"You just need to tell me where they are; even if they saw your figure, they would never say anything. Please, Sora," she pleaded, but I remained unfazed.

"I do not trust them, unlike you; they could say something to the king and the word would spread like an incurable disease."

"Y-you... trust me?"

That's when I remembered what I said to the princess. My pupils dilated as I cursed myself under my breath.

"I-Ignore what I've said; I will lead you to the knight, but as a princess, make certain that no word about me is spread outside the forest."

I sighed, frustrated. Why did I have to fumble the word so badly?

I pulled on my mantle and hood, totally hiding my form with the cloak.

I took the princess outside the cabin. With me leading the way to where the knight had fallen from the waterfall, and the princess following silently after me.

When we arrived at the falls, I paused and told the princess, "He'd fallen off this waterfall; I'm sure he's around somewhere."

And I was correct. As soon as he reached the water's surface, the knight revealed himself. He swam to the land and approached the princess as soon as he saw her.

"Princess! We've been looking for you for days! I'm glad you're safe! Let us go back to the kingdom. The king had been worried about you." The knight extended a hand in front of the princess, motioning her to follow.

His speech seemed to have taken on a false tone of anxiety. But that could simply be my imagination.

"Thank you for continually searching for me, noble knight," the princess said as she clasped the knight's hand in hers.

When the knight saw my physique, his expression immediately changed to wrath.

"You-! What have you done to the princess?!" exclaimed the knight, holding his sword out in front of me.

I shrugged. I didn't even flinch at his tone.

"Stop! This.. stranger took care of me while I sheltered in this forest; no need to draw your sword." But the knight still took out his sword, as if he hadn't heard anything from the princess.

"Who knows who this stranger is, Your Majesty; he may have been looking after you in order to gain your trust, as well as your wealth and riches in the kingdom."