Chapter 1 - "The Forbidden Forest"

Dahyun's POV

"Who dares... to enter my property..?!"

As I stumbled into this dark forest, I was startled by a voice that seemed to come from nowhere, plainly enraged by my presence.

"I'm sorry! Please don't hurt me! I-I-I have nowhere to go!" I pleaded.

"I mean no harm to you, stranger," the voice responded, "but I must ask you to leave this forest immediately; if you do not leave within seconds, you will suffer the consequences."

Because of the muffled tone, I couldn't tell if the person speaking was a man or a woman. But it was evident that a human was speaking to me.

"B-but I don't know where I would stay! I don't want to die so soon!"

"Then why have you ventured into a dangerous forest that is clearly forbidden to all other mortals?"

I sobbed as I knelt on my knees. I actually don't have anywhere else to go, and I don't want to return to that castle I call a prison.

"You speak as if you're a different creature than I am, but I can tell you're a human being with a heart, so please... help me."

I was afraid again when the voice stopped responding. The bushes behind me rustled, and sounds of running stomps were heard, steadily coming my direction.

From the bushes sprang a wild boar. Its eyes were filled with hostility as it stared at me. I began racing away, deeper into the forest, terrified. I didn't dare to look behind me because I knew the boar was still after me.

I passed a river that branches in two directions. I selected the left and was certain that I had lost the hostile animal until I came to a dead end that I initially mistook for a cliff. It turned out to be just a waterfall.

My entire body froze as I realized this was the end of me.

And just when I thought I'd successfully gotten rid of the boar, it emerged in front of me again, forcing me to back away. But it was the worst decision I'd ever made in my life.

I stumbled on the wet grass along the edge and lost my balance, falling into the water below the falls.

Is this the end? Is this what I get for trying to avoid my royal responsibilities? Is this the consequence that the last voice mentioned?

My mind immediately went blank as I felt my body fall deeper into the water. I had no choice but to close my eyes and fall unconscious.

But, before I pass out fully, I was certain that I felt a hand on my waist, pushing me up onto the water's surface.

And then, my vision immediately turned black.

---

???'s POV

I followed the princess as she rushed away from an agitated boar, leaping from tree to tree so she wouldn't notice me or realize I was following her. She must have enraged the poor creature earlier when she screamed.

If I had my bow and arrows, I could have simply shot the boar to stop it from following the princess.

I noticed her travel from the river's left side. My eyes widened at her choice of path.

"She's putting herself in grave danger!" I thought to myself as I dashed towards where she was going.

And, sure enough, my instincts were correct. I was too late to catch her before she fell into the water. She had already fallen, so I could only go down there to bring her back to the surface of the water. She was lucky not to have fallen and hit her head on the rocks.