Chapter 64: The Darksaber

Start from the beginning

"It's not his to earn." Din sets his hand on Astra's lower back, underneath her jetpack. He hesitates and forces himself to go on. "It's... not even mine to pass on."

Astra furrows her brow and gives Din a once-over. "What are you talking about?"

Din sighs and swings his helmet away from her. This is a burden he didn't want her to have to carry, even if the weight of it fell upon his own shoulders the moment he realized this truth. The peaceful rising and falling of her bare back as she slept on his chest that night had only strengthened his resolve to keep it to himself. Now her peace on the matter has been disturbed, and if he's not upfront with her about it, then the weight of it will only grow more and more for both of them. "You told me that you and Bo-Katan used the Darksaber in my rescue." Din faces Astra again, continuing to keep this conversation only between them. "Right?"

Astra gives the upcoming Mandalorian encampment a nervous glance. "Right."

"You said you were the one to finish that thing off."

Astra's armored chest inflates with a careful breath. "I was."

Din runs his gloved thumb over her back. "You defeated the enemy who defeated me."

Astra's eyes start to widen at him as the realization dawns upon her. "Are you trying to say it's... mine?"

Din tilts his helmet at her. "Technically, yes. It is."

The encampment gets close enough for their conversation to need a conclusion. Astra shakes her head at Din. "I can't..." she stops, glancing at Bo-Katan, "it should be Bo's, not mine."

Din grimaces. "You can't give it to her."

He glances at Astra and watches her gaze light up with the excitement of a new idea. "I have a plan."

Before Din can ask her to elaborate, he's forced to follow the silence of those who surround themselves. He holds the tension within him as he observes the encampment of Mandalorians. Cargo crates, Kom'rk-class fighters, and the stolen light cruiser take up the space, along with Mandalorians who wander throughout. Once the group gets close enough, every head turns to them, the idle chatter stilling as if everyone's holding a simultaneous breath.

Din tries his best to remain unbothered. He and Astra stop and stand alongside Bo-Katan as her united front. The hilt of the Darksaber on Din's belt weighs even heavier after his conversation with Astra and serves as his reminder of just how much their presence could mean to the success of Bo's mission.

"Have you come back to join the mercenaries?" Axe Woves calls out from where he sits upon a cargo crate.

Bo-Katan remains unshaken by his words. "I've come to reclaim my fleet."

"It's no longer your fleet, is it?" Axe lifts the cup in his hand in a mock toast. "I'm now in command and grown quite fond of it."

Bo steps forward, leaving Din and Astra behind. They exchange a cautious look. "Then I challenge you, one warrior to another." Axe scoffs and draws a sip of his drink. Din watches Bo-Katan stand firm as she maintains her sense of composure. "Do you accept my challenge?"

Axe sets his drink aside and stands. Din holds his breath for a moment, though it gets released in a somewhat troubled exhale once he begins to speak. "There's no point." Axe shakes his head. "You'll never be the true leader of our people." His attention turns to Din as he gestures to him. "You won't even take the Darksaber from him. He's the one you should be challenging."

Astra tenses at Din's side. He gives her a warning glance, though he's certain it's gone unnoticed. "Enough Mandalorian blood has been spilled by our own hands," Bo-Katan says, a haunting history tightening her voice into an emotional yet powerful strain. She pauses and looks around the group of Mandalorians that have since gathered to watch the confrontation. "Mandalorians are stronger together."