Seventeen - Perspicacious

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the galaxy. Today I am wise, so I am changing my allies.
Year 11

——————

Anakin

The Force isn't always perfect. Actually, I'll rephrase that: A being's interpretation isn't always perfect, even with things that are second nature. It's like when you roll your ankle with nothing to blame but your own two feet. Even though I think I can feel Kitten the moment I enter the same system as her, I've never been confident that's what it is. So, when I sense her drop into the system but don't receive a notification that my hangar is opening within a few minutes, I don't think much of it.

That is until I get a message a while later forwarded from the commander in charge of Fortress Inquisitorius. Or, the de facto in charge, I suppose.

Two high-profile survivors found.

I open the recent field report but before reading it, I'm confident it will include Kitten's name.

The Thirteenth Sister and Tualon Yaluna. Search initiated by none other than Kat Velez. The report includes an image of her talking to them both.

Why the fuck would she put herself in this situation?

There's a damn problem with the image. The Inquisitors appear to be...circling her. She stands tall, one might think she's simply having a conversation, not being analyzed by predators. Yaluna appears to be about to touch her.

Through my irritation, I realize something. Kitten has learned from me.

She's not acting like prey. In the picture, two stormtroopers appear to be observing—whether they would try to protect her or not, I don't know. They're likely stationed to the Dominion.

I want to rush to Nur, but Thrawn is watching me carefully. If he's debating being my ally, there's no need for him to see more conflict in my life.

Less than ten minutes later, the notification comes for my hangar opening. It takes only a few minutes to get down to my office after landing—but she doesn't appear.

I debate contacting her. What if she wasn't the one in control of the ship landing? What if they're holding her hostage?

With a galaxy's amount of reluctant restraint, I decide to be patient.

Shit, it's hard. Losing Kitten would absolutely wreck me. There would be no coming back from it. But damnit, she's never given me a reason not to trust her.

The problem is: It's not about trust. It's about her safety.

I'm seconds from asking Zena to report on Kitten's whereabouts when the door to my office slides open. Kitten stands there, alone, and shoots me a small smile. Relief pours through me.

Yes, maybe it is about trust. I should've trusted she knew what she was doing. I realize this the moment I see her and my anxieties rush out of me.

"Did you meet Senator Organa?" I ask as a way of greeting, relaxing back into my chair.

"I did." She smiles, and it reaches her eyes. I knew she would like him. I still have feelings of betrayal and am not sure I'm ready to meet him again face to face. But Kitten likely enjoyed meeting him—and enjoyed time with Leia. Perhaps I'm a bit jealous of that. "A lovely man. I rendezvoused with the Tantive IV, though I almost wish I'd gotten to see Alderaan."

"You?" Wishing she could see a highly populated planet?

She giggles, telling me she's tired. "And with royalty? You're right, I would have panicked."