Let Go | Jisung Fic #2

Start from the beginning

You couldn't leave him. Not now. You didn't care if you were nothing but a vengeful spirit. You didn't care if you would miss your chance to go to the afterlife. As long as you could still see him every day, that was good enough.

So the next year, you did just that. you stayed close to him, always. You were there in the late nights when he pulled all-nighters to study. You were there for his college graduation and an interview for his first job. You were there when someone new walked into his life.

You observed their exchanges of shy smiles and hesitant glances. As their relationship blossomed into something more, your heart hardened.

"Park Jisung, how could you forget me so easily?" you fumed, standing out the restaurant window on their third date.

"Don't you think he deserves to move on?" The grim reaper appeared again. "Park Jisung has his whole life ahead of him. He can't hold on to you forever."

"Stop! I don't want to hear it," you shouted.

The grim reaper peered at you with pity. "Do not let your bitterness consume you, Kim (Y/n)."

But you did not heed the reaper's warning. Blinded by envy and rage, you targeted the girl Jisung was with. You started with small, harmless tricks. Things like blowing the wind to mess up the girl's hair, and pulling away the chair before she sat down.

Despite your interference, the couple's relationship grew. You never thought another girl could make Jisung smile the way you used to. You hated seeing him happy with someone else, while you still longed for him.

Then one night, your anger got the best of you. The couple had just left the noraebang. Jisung had left his phone and told his girlfriend to wait outside for him. You focused carefully on the girl standing at the edge of the sidewalk. From the corner of her eye, she spotted a delivery motorcycle.

You relinquished your supernatural powers as a vengeful spirit, fueled by wrath and resentment, and forcefully propelled the girl into the street with an unseen force. You then watched as the motorcycle driver failed to brake in time, resulting in a screeching crash. Moments later, you turned to see Jisung running out and crying the girl's name.

You thought you would be satisfied after that incident. Hours later, you observed him sitting beside the unconscious girl laying on the hospital bed. He was holding her hand tightly, crying quietly.

The heavy weight of your actions began to sink in. Only now did you realize how much this girl meant to Jisung. Your death had already caused him enough grief. He didn't need to lose anyone else.

"I'm sorry," you whispered, tears streaming down your face in remorse. "I'm sorry."

You vanished from the hospital, no longer having the stomach to watch them any longer.

After that day, you left the couple alone. You were done being resentful. Hurting them wasn't going to take away your pain. Instead, you kept yourself away and let them live their lives. Until a few months later, when he showed up again.

The warmth from the sun took its leave, allowing the cool breeze of the evening to take its place. At the far end of the park, you were waiting for him under the large cherry blossom tree. You spotted his tall figure approaching, half of his face wrapped in a white scarf. This time he didn't just bring a bouquet of flowers, but the girl he was with.

"Long time no see, (Y/n). I hope you're doing well," Jisung sighed, staring down at your gravestone.

"Sorry, I couldn't visit you earlier. But I've been wanting you to meet someone special to me." He exchanged glances with his partner, who squeezed his hand. You noticed the diamond ring on her finger.

Tears welled up in your eyes, as he started introducing her. Seeing how much he loved her, stung more than you wanted to admit. The selfish part of you would do almost anything to be in her place.

Nonetheless, you knew you couldn't hold him back. Park Jisung deserved to be happy.

"Are you ready to let go now?"

You took a shaky breath, feeling the weight of the moment settle upon your shoulders, before finally mustering the courage to nod in acknowledgment. "Yes."

But before you could follow the grim reaper, you glanced at him one last time. For you would soon be going to a place where you'd forget all about him.

"Goodbye, Park Jisung."

As you crossed over to the afterlife, you felt a sense of relief wash over you. You had finally let go of your anger and bitterness and were ready to move on. You knew that you would always cherish the memories of this life.

In the end, you learned that love is not about possession or control. It was about letting go and allowing the people you love to live their own lives. You learned that even in death, love never truly dies, and the memories you create with your loved ones will always live on.

◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦∘◦❀◦