Chapter 1: The Calm Before the Storm

Start from the beginning

"I SAID NO, THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH YOU YOUNG FOLKS THESE DAYS"

"YOU NEVER LISTEN AND YOU'RE ALWAYS DISRESPECTING YOUR ELDERS. HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU I DON'T WANT TO GIVE ANYONE MY MONEY" the old lady yelled with an irritated expression. 

I took a deep breath and sighed. 

Calm down Vera, don't let the intrusive thoughts win.

I don't get paid enough for this.

Not to mention, prison is not for the weak.

"That'll be $12.50, ma'am" I stated while avoiding eye contact with the old lady.

Breathe Vera.

I knew once our eyes met, I wouldn't be able to hold myself back anymore, especially after she chewed my ear off like that. 

"Not even an apology? Young people these days I tell you"

"Where's the manager when you need them?" the old lady said under her breath.

I bagged the old lady's items and waited for the receipt to print before placing it in the bag. 

I extended my arm with the bag in hand gesturing for her to take the bag and she stood there as if she was expecting to hear something else from me before leaving. 

Was she expecting me to tell her to have a good day after she lectured me about disrespecting my elders? I knew I shouldn't have been this petty but employees are people too. The customers aren't always right.

"I am the manager"

The old lady yanked the bag from my hand and stormed out of the store. Other customers watched in scrutiny while moving to different checkout counters to avoid interacting with me.

I sighed, who knew life could be so draining? 

While others were born with a golden spoon, I'm stuck with what? A measly dirt spoon? 

Well, maybe more like a plastic spoon? 

I don't know if that's any better, with barely any force it'll still snap in half.

I guess I should be somewhat grateful, I'm sure some people out there are worse off than I am. 

But compared to my family, I'm on a completely different level. 

A lower level that is.

I actually have two older twin brothers. They're identical twins and surprisingly they both managed to get into Ivy League universities. 

Believe it or not, I still can't tell them apart to this day. But seeing as how I can't be in the same room as them for more than five minutes, I guess it's understandable.

Before I was born, I was originally supposed to be a fraternal twin. 

I was born first however, my mother suffered complications while trying to give birth to Vernon, my twin brother. Due to this, Vernon passed away while I survived.

Was it from that moment on that I had become an outsider? 

As I grew up my parents showed little interest in me. By the time I entered high school, It was almost as if I had become invisible. 

With every breath I took, I was constantly compared to my brothers. I could never meet my parent's expectations and because of that, they began to neglect me. 

It was unbearable. I was embarrassed to even call them my family. They were my own flesh and blood yet they felt like strangers to me. 

To this day I'm still unsure what a family is truly supposed to be like. 

All I could do was isolate myself in my room as I listened to their laughter in the background.

I think this was when I began to rely on Remi for support. At least she was always there for me when I needed someone to lean on, but at times I felt guilty.

Since my parents didn't support me I had to work multiple part-time jobs so I could save up and prepare for college. However, even after working so many jobs I still didn't have enough money to attend university even if I had taken out a couple of student loans. Not to mention the massive amount of debt I would have accumulated if I did.

Instead, I opted for a community college close to home. Remi also decided to attend the same community college as me even though she had better offers. 

I'm grateful she stood by my side but, I can't help but feel like I'm holding her back.

Shoppers the store will be closing in 15 minutes.

I repeat the store will be closing in 15 minutes. 

I decided to take off my name tag and end my shift early. After the stunt I pulled today nobody wanted me to bag their items anyway. 

Well, less work for me. 

After making my way to the employee lockers, I changed out of my uniform before catching my bus and going home.

---

After a long bus ride, I finally reached my stop. 

As I exited the bus, I was greeted by fresh cold air. 

While walking home I decided to take the longer route to re-organize my thoughts.

It was quiet, yet peaceful. 

However, I knew it wouldn't last long. 

It almost felt as if something was weighing down on my chest.

I sighed, What a crappy day.

Is this what they call the calm before the storm?